RP-140SAs for 5.1.2 or 7.1?

zerorevolution

I'm adding a pair of RP-140SAs to the collection and I'm not sure what set up would allow for a better sound field. I'm torn between mounting the 140SAs on the rear wall, 2-3 feet above MLP, or mounting them high on front/rear wall and using them as height speakers for atmos. Any suggestions?

I have two pairs of these for 7.2.4 atmos. I have never tried them on the wall, I have them placed on top of floor speakers. They work great for that setup. It is my understanding that if you hang these in the wall, they are meant to be a surround channel, not atmos.

I have always been content with a 5.1 system; never had a desire to move to a 7.1 system even though my Home Theater area is wired to accommodate that configuration. When I updated to a 4K TV, 4K UHD Blu-ray player, and a Marantz SR5012 I started thinking about 7.1. When I read about the RP-140SA's and that they could be used as Dolby Atmos or Surround speakers, I bought a pair of them because of their flexibility. I'm using them in a 5.1.2 configuration with them placed on top of my front left and right speakers. In my opinion, when the music content warrants their use, the SR5012 will use them and to me there is an improvement to the sound. So far their use has been with Blu-ray Concert DVDs.