Late 1980s La Scalas

Hello, all!

I'm new here, but have been looking at Klipsch loudspeakers for years. I currently am using Lowther drivers in rear-loaded horns. I have the opportunity to purchase at a fair price (just a little black touch up needed)a pair of 1980s La Scalas -- near where I live, which cuts out shipping costs.

The gentleman selling these was most helpful, and speakers are evidently in fine shape, except for some minor scuffs. They are the utility (black) version.

I'm just wondering: My belief is that they use a 15" dynamic driver for the folded horn, but I'm worried about potential foam rot due to the age. Unless the woofers used consisted of an accordian-style paper cone, where such deterioration wouldn't occur. What about possible crossover ailments due to age -- these are mainly chokes, capacitors, and resistors, so I feel that aspect should be fine.

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated...and friendly regards,

Erik Mandaville

Welcome to the best audio forum going!! Those K33 woofers have paper accordian surrounds...no foam surrounds in the heritage series speakers at all....the crossovers ain't old...they arent even 20 yet!!...so don't worry about them!! Hell, crossovers up to 50 years old and older in most of the Klipsch speakers work just fine!! You still may find that over time you will want to change the crossover network...for stock networks, the AA seems to be the preference...or you can opt for some ALK's. Buy em and enjoy em and quit worrying about em!

I'm in total agreement with Mr. Builder. That is a 15 inch driver with accordion surround. Very conventional in design and not prone to any failure.

The forum here does not have a category for history of failed, or aged, components in the Heritage line, of which the LS is one. But there seems no need for one. Occasionally there are outright failures from outright abuse, but very few.

I recall a few instances where the screw down connections at the crossover board get tarnished or loose. An easy fix.

Essentially, there is nothing fragile, or prone to age, about the gems.

I'm sure you'll like them very much.

Gil