Thread Enders

Missed that exchange - work gets in the way sometimes.

Of course it's midday here so I suppose I have the advantage as Kelly says and you wont find me on here in the early hours...

In the bathroom changing diapers - yes but not on here!!

Tom,

The criminal who was ripping people off on eBay started out at "keith*richards" was booted off by eBay, but he came back as "univoxman", but now is unregistered status again. He kept using the same bogus photo of some NOS Telefunkens and sending out crap. I would recognize that fake photo if I saw it again, and I have been scouting to see if he has crept back onto eBay with a new name. Meanwhile eBay makes it a big hassle to collect on the refund from them. They did admit that the seller was a fraud. The only name I have for him is Keith Vanderschaegen, but who knows if this is true. The guy is an outright crook, a real fraud con man. A couple of the fake had <> and a couple did not, all were labelled Telefunkens and all were DEAD TUBES!

-c7s

-c

well good. turns out I bought from "lowtechelec@speakeasy.org". I did the BIN thing since I got tired of waiting for something to come along.

One pair was like this for $77:

This matched pair of ribbed plate Telefunken 12AX7 / ECC83 preamp tubes was tested on my newly-recalibrated Hickok 600A for shorts, gas, and transconductance. There were no shorts or gas. Transconductance was 1190/1240 for Tube One and 1250/1300 for Tube Two (new/nominal is 1250 -- a match within approximately 5%). And, of course, they have the Telefunken <> in their bases. I have played them throughout the day in my Dynaco PAS3 Version II; they sound excellent and are dead quiet when the preamp is muted.

the other was these for $55:

This matched pair of smooth plate Telefunken 12AX7 / ECC83 preamp tubes was tested on my newly-recalibrated Hickok 600A for shorts, gas, and transconductance. There were no shorts or gas. Transconductance was 1250/1125 for Tube One and 1100/1220 for Tube Two (new/nominal is 1250). This is nearly a perfect match when used in series-gain circuits and is OK for phase splitting as well. Naturally, they have the Telefunken <> in their bases. I have played them throughout the day in my Dynaco PAS3 Version II; they sound excellent and are dead quiet when the preamp is muted.

so far so good, the 81 sounds great, but I'm still having issues with balance or one side is just stronger than the other.

Tom

Tom,

That dealer you got them from is all over the place on eBay. He seems reputable. He is the guy that bids on every old Eico, Dynaco, Heathkit, and on every tube deal which could be a bargain. He then parts the stuff out. He is easy to outbid on items because he is a lowballer and when he resells he usually does not get top dollar because people know that he just pulled thoses tubes out of some old unit he just bought on eBay. Myself, rather than buy tubes from him, I see what tubes he is excited to bid on, then just outbid him.

-c7s