Permanent damage?

mungkiman

Yesterday, I received a pair of AA networks in the mail. I hooked them up incorrectly, and wonder if I might/could have damaged anything. I had the incoming speaker wire hooked up to the woofer terminal, and the woofer wire hooked up to input terminal. I played music at low levels (90 Db), and recognized a problem quickly. Still, I switched between the A and B speakers for a short while. I checked the tightness of the terminal screws, and performed the above listening comparisons again. I found the mistake, corrected it and listened, and I could almost convince myself that I now have a slight problem with my amp. It seems I am getting more bass from the left side, and more treble on the right side. Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Chris

Relax!!

Take a big breath - followed by a draught of decent Scotch, ( or an ughhh/gag/hurl/fart Herbal Tea), and enjoy! You will not have damaged anything other than your self confidence. If you are actually hearing differences between the speakers then you probably need to reorient them for better balance/positioning.

Attached is a schematic of the AA.

I don't see anything that would injure the amp, or the crossover, or the drivers.

You can see that you're driving the mid and tweeter through the 2.5 mH inductor. That would mean that the you were getting some drive to the mid because the autotransformer creates a very high impedance load which the inductor would not choke off. The tweeter was probably getting nothing at all because the tweeter network presents a normal 8 ohm load above 6000 Hz, which the inductor chokes off. So I'd think you were hearing just the mid, of those two.

The woofer, being connected to the input, is being fed through the inductor, and works normally.

The bottom line, above is that there is nothing to harm the drivers.

Also, I don't see anything to create a bad load for the amp. It is use to seeing that inductor in series.

It is a good thing that you didn't have the accident with the AK-3 or AL-3. Those have more than 100 uF of capacitor across the woofer output, which became your input. That would be a dead short and the amp would have shut down or failed.

So, if the amp didn't shut down, I'd think you're okay.

While I'm here, Bob G. pointed out some time ago that it is dangerous to run an AL-3 or AK-3 without the bass driver wired in. The second order crossover has a resonance resulting in a short circuit at some frequency.

I think there is a potental similar issue with the interaction of the inductor and the cap feeding the autotransformer, with the woofer in between. It would take some looking at. But if nothing has failed totally, probably no harm done.

If you think you have a frequency response issue with the amp, I'd try it with headphones, or another set of speakers, and use the balance control to pan back and forth. Maybe a mono signal or mono setting would help identify if there is a problem.

Gil

post-2552-13819245521466_thumb.jpg