Nakamichi 680

fini

It's been a real long time since I've had my Nak LX-3 hooked-up and playing...at least 6 years. So I'm not quite sure why I'm interrested in a Nak 680 I saw yesterday in a second-hand shop.

Actually, I do know why: the $68 price tag. If it's working, maybe I'll upgrade to this all-black doorstop/bookend/plant stand.

What would you do?

fini

I only remember the Nakamichi 680 as a tape deck and you seem to be referring to is as an amp. Are you sure you have the model number correct? I used to own the wedge Nakamichi 600 series SS amplifier which was good but no match for any of the tube options discussed here often. I believe Jazman also had one of the 600 series amps as well. These amps matched the 600 Nak deck.

The only Nak amp I would even consider having today is the Stasis Nak PA-70 which acutally sounded pretty good. Did really well with the little Nak CA-5 preamp. REason being, NAK didnt design the damn things.... Nelson PAss did and it was very near a Threshold amplifier in different box but not quite up to the Threshold parts or sonics.

Mobile- It is a tape deck (so is the LX-3). By yhe way, I've been using a Nakamichi CR-3A Stasis receiver w/the Cornwalls. Sounds pretty good to me... I'll probably keep that one hooked-up when I redo my Fisher 500c, as an amp I don't mind my kids using.

Any experience with tha 680 Nak deck? 3 heads w/ 1/2 speed option...woo-hoo! I've heard it uses the same heads as the Dragon.

fini

I have more Nakamichi tape decks than sense! If you want my honest opinion here, I would steer clear of it unless you don't have any other Nakamichi decks, in which case I would be more than happy to sell you one of mine! Heh.... While they made arguably the best sounding cassette decks ever made, many of the models had reliability problems; ask me how I know....

My Dad was a monster jazz buff/musician and we owned so many damn Nak decks over the years, I can barely remember them all. Before he died in 94, he had amassed a collection of over 1300 individually recorded TDK SA-90 (he bought them by the CASE) tapes of live jazz and rare recordings (along with standards). He was addicted to making tapes...for himself, others, anyone. And he painstakingly hand labeled the damn covers and cassettes with all the musicians, dates etc, in meticulous SMALL writing... My Mom still has the double door closet filled from floor to ceiling on all three sides with these tapes in those wooden wall racks for cassettes you could get way back when. It's a daunting sight. Friends jaws drop when they see it (not to mention the record collection - now mine).

I currently have the Nakamichi CR-7a, CR-3a, BX-300, BX-150, and 600 II. I gave my brother the CR-3a (the only model that never needed servicing) and my mom now has the BX-150 (in need of a belt). At one time or another, we had the RX-505, which was the NAK deck that rotated the cassette (it was the only way they would make a bi-directional deck besides the Dragon because of the compromises in sonics). The original Nak 1000zx was a great sounding deck but things went wrong. It was the first 3 head cassette deck we ever owned. The 600II wedge deck was a GREAT one for a 2 head deck but again, few are working today.

The CR-7a is the BEST sounding deck we had besides the Dragon, which I think is too expensive for what you are paying for...there is a LOT going on in that unit and the only NAK deck that has autoreverse as the heads will adjust to the tape. I still use the CR-7a deck today and it makes excellent tapes. The BX-300 was great when working. It sits in its box. Ditto with the 600II wedge which is a piece of art work in all silver.

Seriously though, the 680 was supposed to be a good deck (the Z series seems to be more robust). If you are sure it is working correctly, and aren't afraid of the possible problems, I would talk them down to $50 and take it. Cassettes are a more circumspect medium but Nakamichi was one of the few manufacturers to ever allow top notch performance from such a piss poor source.

90s lower end Naks were not made in Japan; the Japan models were much better made. Still, say hello to idler arm etc problems on and on. Learn to work on them and you'll be a hero.