ASUSA and La Scalas (Mobile H.)...and anyone else curious

Erik Mandaville

Hey, Kelly -

Well this forum is busy, to say the least. That's refreshing to me, and I sense a genuine really high level of interest. Great!

It's mid-week, and I have so much to do, that I don't have time to read responses to my own post of a couple of days ago. I'll save that for early morning this Saturday -- something to look forward to.

But on the ASUSA amp: YOu are correct, and provided your usual helpful pic. of the unit (wish I could do that). Thanks for sharing that, by the way. That little thing was the first amp kit I built. At the time, it was driving a pair of two-way monitors that I built from sections of ceramic flue tile. Those speakers used very high quality drivers from SEAS and VIFA, and incorporated the best crossover (series network, interestingly) parts I could afford. With my then SS amp, they were quite good sounding. And with the ASUSA, they also provided very satisfactory sound; but due to the rather low efficiency of the speakers, would tend to clip, though gracefully so. That's what started my adventure that led to Lowthers, and now La Scalas. I have to say, it might not have been a bad idea for you to have jumped for that amp if you had the chance. It is a very, very fine amplifier, even if it can't muster a total of four watts. With such efficient speakers more than that might not be necessary (depending on listening tastes, type of music, etc.) The system plays louder in my fairly large listening room than I can stand for very long, with more to spare after that. It is totally quiet, with no hum that I can hear, except for when my ear is right up against the speakers -- and even then it's hardly audible. I always laugh when I look at the rats nest I made of the wiring inside, but I've left it that way for sentimental reasons (?). And still it's completely quiet and sounds fantastic. I think Vacuum Tube Valley did a very favorable review of it some issues back.

Unfortunately, I was being selfish with the time I had listening to the La Scalas. Even though $750 was a very fair price, it was still difficult for us, since we've some other financial things to think about (who doesn't these days???). But this kind of deal wasn't going to come along every day, and I just sprung for them. I really loved how they sounded, and I heard just what bass response I haven't been getting from the Lowthers for 5 years. In short, I didn't get to hear the amp with the Klipschorns (or with any amp for that matter. John (his name) uses a Nakamichi SS amp, which he admitted was more (in terms of high wattage)than he probably needs.

I got an email from him last night, by the way. He said he couldn't get over the sound of the La Scalas driven by the little ASUSA, and wanted to know if they were still available and how much they cost. He said he has plenty of other amps other than the one he is currently using, but can't get over the sound of the tube amplifier. I have to say, the La Scala/ASUSA combination is easily on par and very possibly even better sounding to me than the Moondog/Lowther/Medallion system -- and that's something I didn't think I'd ever hear myself saying.....really!

Kelly: Did you say ASUSA is no longer in business? I might be interested in buying another one of these, since I could do a far better job wiring it than I had before, as well as improve some of the parts at the same time.

Ok, enough for now. Time to get breakfast ready, lunch packed pants and shirt ironed. I can't wait for the weekend.

'til later,

Erik

I have the ASUSA A-4 UL/Triode EL-34 amp you see below. IT got a big rave in VTV as well as the best kit amp under $1000...but then again, VTV was just starting to SELL ASUSA so.... well, it added a bit of flavor to the perspective. I have shared many an email and phone call with the company but have not talked with them for a year or so. At the time, they were not doing too well to the point of rumors of going completely under. I think they just totally disappeared in the last 8 months. Their domain name brings nothing. I havent called them though. I doubt the lines would go through. As for the big ASUSA K2003 pic, I had downloaded that years ago when I almost bought it. You cant even find that nice a pic of it anymore (the one in the review is a bit ruined).

a-4_2.jpg

For the TNT ASUSA K2003 REVIEW: http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/k2003_e.html

Again, I am glad you like the La Scala. I think you like a REALLY detailed sound after going over various comments of yours in the WL forum. You went to the Mylars for MORE detail over the Hovlands and then the 5Y3. And your comments in the WL forum mentioned a search for more detail with the 45 (with a sacrafice in less wamrth) over the 2A3. This is when I really thought you would like the La Scala a lot. I think upon further listening, you would see what the Moondogs offer over something like the ASUSA. Strangely enough, I had the very same reaction when I first paired my vintage EICO HF-81 amp with the Cornwalls - WOW...this is so great - ALIVE - Dynamic! IT blew the ASUSA EL-34 amp out of the water and had amazing SOUL and realism. But when I finally switched to the 2A3 Moondogs again, I said, "WHoooaaaaa...OK. Now I see what I was missing." But I think the EL-84 tube (whether in SE or PP) at its best is a GREAT match with Klipsch horns (and of course, the little EICO is one of my favorite amps of all time in many ways). But ultimately, the 2A3 Moondogs are on another plain altogether. No contest. But our amps are literally on the opposite ends of the sonic spectrum as I have Audio Note Tantalum resistors, Audio Note Copper Foil Oils, the GZ-37, and 6SN7/5692 NOS drivers, all brought in to increase the musical nature of the amps as I think the detail was already there in spades; it needed a dose of that elusive musical nature. I think the quest for natural detail is the ultimate but if at any expense in the musical/natural side of the equation, it is not real but hyped.

My Cornwalls actually have VERY simple Type B crossovers with vintage oil caps, something I feel to add a great deal to the natural nature of the production. Many La Scala owners have been liking the ALK networks which is an aftermarket crossover that costs in the $500 neighborhood. Given your soldering and electrical skills, you could make the units on your own and AL K. provides the schematics and parts lists on his site, something that is not too common for manufacturers, this giving the DIY type the ability to do on his/her own.

Here is the ALK CROSSOVER page with pics and the ZIP file download for the ALK crossover design using Hovlands/Solen etc: http://www.alkeng.com/klipsch.html

Again, glad you are having the great reaction to the La Scala! It is alway a battle as to which vintage Klipsch people ultimately prefer between the Khorn, La Scala, Belle, Cornwall etc. Bring in the fact that there are MANY different drivers and the Alnico equation (which some dont think is that different) and you have plenty of variations and theories. Good luck on the journey!

kh

Thanks for your response Kelly.

Also, I haven't mentioned this to you yet, but I consider your post on the Welborne Labs forum an act of kindness and friendship. I started to feel so out-of-place there (and still do, actually). So, I went to have a look at your reply. I appreciate that. In Ron's shoes, I would have made some sort of effort to come to an understanding, and I contemplated writing to him personally. He posted his response on the forum, so I was determined to speak my own mind in a similar fashion. that whole thing is unfortunate.

I'll bet you are very right about using the La Scalas with the Moondogs. I'm going to configure the OPT in such a way that I can make an easy switch back and forth between 8 and 16 ohms output impedance, so I can use the amp with both the Lowthers, as well as the others.

I have to admit, part of this recent quest for detail almost certainly has something to do with a bit of a loss of hearing I'm becoming aware of -- especially high frequency stuff. This has a strong hereditary component, and I'm becoming quite aware of the fact. It sort of bugs me, too. At just under 40, I wonder if I might start having to wear a hearing aid one of these years not too far away. If so, it damn well better be a tube one!

The hobby is about fun and enjoyment and sharing ideas, and I thank you again for the energy and effort you put into your posts and the information you share. You've got me thinking about oil caps now, though! You say they're really nice, huh?

Erik

For tube audio on the cheap, there is a lot to be said for the old vintage SE 6BQ5 stuff.

With the right speakers of course!

I've been playing around with the original drivers raided out of the consoles on some of the original baffles.

The 10 inchers out of the RCA SE are daul cones and sound the second best out of all.

The Magnavox SE 10 inchers are nice, nothing thrilling.

The Montgomery Ward SE Airline 12 inchers have more depth than the 10's, and get pretty amazing bass for a open baffle in microwatt land.

(Do have to add a little bass on the tone control, OOPS!)

But the best one is a 10 incher raided out of a 50's Packard Bell television.

Tight deep bass, nice midranges, and extends somewhat higher than the other speakers.

Wish I had a mate.

Keep in mind I'm a poor bastard just enjoying what's cobbled together.

Cornwalls soon......