RF-7s and Tsunami amp

Sprout

I live in a fraternity house, also I am a novice, and have a pair of RF-7s; we have tailgates every Friday and play loud music and grill out. My Onkyo SR600 cant put out enough power for the tailgates. I recently hooked the speakers up to a Tsunami HQ2002s amp putting out 980 W per channel into 4 ohms. If I run this continuously am I in danger of blowing the speakers? If so any recommended settings for the amp so I can use the speakers with it?

Sprout

I should sign a waiver before telling you what I think, and definitely wait for some others to respond before going off and "lighting up the world".

What you got there is a 28 LB "pro" amp, utilizing switching type power supplies which they refer to as class "H" -- which I've never even heard of. Most of the switching power amps used in most of the newer subs are referred to as class "D". However, this amp retails for around $1300 normally -- and so it appears to be a quality amp (as far as pro amps go).

The power rating is given as 900 watts at 4 ohms AT 1KHZ or 1000HZ. This is a crappy way to rate power. It should have said "900 watts from 20HZ to 20KHZ. So, this is the first clue they are jerking you around with the power spec.

The RF7's are rated at 8 ohms -- so, with this load on the amp, it's down to 600 watts a channel (their spec).

I don't know what the power of that amp would be if it was spec'd out properly (through all frequencies).

The RF7's are rated to take 250 watts (each).

I wouldn't take it past 10 o'clock position with the volume control knobs, and keep everyone the hell away from them -- or your RF7's are toast.