Bi-Wire Connections

skodra

Welcome,

If your audio shop will let you try out a pair for a weekend you could A/B them with all types of media etc. So you can decide for yourself in your enviorment and at your prefered listening levels and pace.

Folks here will tell ya from experience that it either works or it's all just smoke and mirrors.

Just let your ears decide!

yeah there are plenty of premade biwire cables out there at various cost levels. i have those w/ banana plugs (some were custom made by the monster dealer). great for looks & convenience.

my advice is if you got biwirable speaks, at least try 'em. like jt says, experiment & let your own ears decide.

After posting a question on bi-wiring on another thread on this board today, I figured that when I got home, I'd at least try it. To be honest with you, even though the Klipsch book says that bi-wiring will give better bass and imaging response, I didn't notice one bit of difference.

Though I also, don't seem to understand the concept of bi-wiring. If your receiver is only pumping out X amount of watts, then no matter how you wire them (single pair or bi-wiring them), your speakers are only going to receive the power your reciever is delivering correct? So how is bi-wiring them going to change anything?

Kev

Hi kev,

You are right.

It has nothing to do with inreasing watts.

Many of the concepts related to Bi-Wiring are still unproven theory.

Basically, the main benifit of Bi-Wiring is the reducion/elimination of what's refered to as "Back EMF".

The main component in this being in the crossover of the speaker itself.

By completely separating the High frequency section of the crossover from the Low frequency section, a lot more sonic information can be realized at the speaker.

Thus, an increase in detail and a more defined bass.

In a standard crossover where the signal path comes in and goes out of the crossover at the same point, the energy returning from the woofer can suppress higher frequencies (in the crossover) as it passes back through on it's way back to the reciever.

That problem is eliminated with bi-wiring, where both the HF and LF have their own individual paths back to the receiver.

So, it's all about keeping the highs and the lows separated.

There is quite a bit more surrounding bi-wiring than just cable separation.

But, I believe it to be the most important part.

Try leaving it Bi-wired for a week or so, then go back to your regular way.

You might be surprized. Might not.

Enjoy your experimentation.

I read a while ago, I think it was on Straitwire's site, that the greater difference in impendence between the HF and LF individual drivers (i.e.- 3 ohm LF, 7 ohm HF VS. 7 ohm LF, 8 ohm HF) then the more sonically beneficial bi-wiring will become.

I would have tried to get some resistance readings on my own system but I didn't feel like unsoldering the each driver to test it. Lazy me....

• 4 months later...