Is this Accurate?

Dombo

Hey Everyone,

I have a question but first I would like to set it up a little.

I was listening to a CD, "Beastie Boys, License to Ill" and in the intro to Brass Monkey I can hear some backround noise (first 15 seconds), like bass imperfections. Sounds kinda like crackling I guess. I first thought it could be the recording quality, then I thought it might be something wrong with the speaker. So I took the CD and played it in my roommates Awia stereo, and I couldn't hear the imperfections as clear as before, almost like they weren't there. SO now its got me thinking there could be a problem with my drivers.

Here's the question: Is it accurate to say that a better system (I have a Denon 3802 and KLF 30's) will reproduce the CD with more accurate detail allowing these noises/quality to become more noticable than a low end stereo?

And how would I know if there is a problem with a speaker. I am pretty cautious with how loud I go with them, but if a driver were broken would it be obvious? Cloud someone with half a brain tell if there was a blown woofer (would I be able to tell very easily if a speaker was not 100%)? One more question, what exactly breaks when a driver fails, do horns break before drivers and does a driver either work completly or not at all? I guess I have a lot of questions, but any input or personal experiences would be appreciated. I'm pretty protective of my klipsch and don't want them hurt. If anyone has that CD test it out and tell me what they think or tell me to go see a mental doctor,lol whatever.

Thanks

Yes, your system will reveal imperfections in the source material which will go unnoticed in other "lesser" systems.

Do you hear the crackling in both speakers, or only one? If in both, I would tend to think it is the source material. What are the odds of both speakers failing? And if in only one, try swapping it with the other one and see if the noise follows the speaker or stays put, which would indicate something amiss in your equipment.

DD

If this particular disk is the only one where you hear that effect I would suspect the problem is with the disk or, (less likely) , your CD player.

My KLF 30's caused me to swap out virtually every component of my stereo over the course of a year. They are glorious but absolutely merciless in exposing deficits in your equipment.

I would say that it is safe to assume that the problem is with the cd or it was written in the song and its supposed to sound like that.There is no way that you can compare high fidelity sound with awia mini systems or whatever it was. I wouldn't worry about it because its probably just the cd. thats just me, but you may want to try the other things the other people said just to make sure.

Is it happening on just that disk, on other tracks on that disk? Also, if it is happening only in the first 15 seconds of that one particular song, that indicates to me that the "problem" is on the CD itself. If you had a blown driver, most likely, you'll hear a similiar effect on other disks/tracks. I don't have the CD myself (not a big fan of Beastie Boys), but I guess I could download a high bit rate MP3 and try it out to see if I get the same effect on mine (yes, I know MP3 is not as good as the original CD material - and don't even get me started on copyright issues 11.gif ).