best setting for 4.1?

440CUDA

I struggled with this when I first got mine as well. I made a post entitled "Help please 4.1" There is some good info in there on people's settings.

Basically, a good starting point is Main system volume at around 75%, Wave at 75-100%, sub at THX mark, Surround at 12 oclock, speaker volume at 50%, and winamp volume aroud 50%. This setting should make it pretty damn loud. Go from there.

-Cabby

quote:

Originally posted by 440CUDA:

Ahhh this sounds better,one more question,are the front speakers suppose to sound louder then the rears?

Depends on how you want it to sound. Since all four sats are the same, they have the capability to play as loud as each other. with the surround set at 12 o'clock, tbe fronts will be louder than the rears.. I have mine set pretty much to max.. so the fronts and rears are pretty even with a little more coming from the fronts. You can always use the fade setting for your sound card to adjust it som more. I generally like the sound to be even so I am in the middle of music as it sounds like it is all around me evenly. Really up to you tho.

This kind of hard to explain. I have plugged the purple(rear) minijack into the front speakers from the sound card and the green to the rear.

Then I run the rear sats from the sub to the sats besides my monitor, and the main from the sub to my rear sats.

The reason behind this is the surround control can bring the volume to equal the main, but they are further away. By reversing the surround and main I can reduce the sats closest to me, to match the sats farther away, then the main controls the overall volume of the sub, front and rear.