Home Theater - Room Size

Beechnut

Hey all,

Fleshing out the floorplan for a 40' x 20' ILF (Independent Living Facility) that will be upstairs in a metal building (40' x 80') on the farm. Basically an apartment with 1 Bed, 1 Bath, Kitchen, and Home Theater. And the latter is what I want to optimize, and build the rest of the 800 sq. ft. floor plan around.

I'm thinking a 15' by 20' room.

Goals would be a false front stage, acoustically transparent screen and 2 rows of seating.

Looking at putting the front stage on the 15' wall so it gives me room to put the false wall in and the first row of seating around the 11' mark, giving me room for a second row.

Currently have a full RF7II HT setup. BUT....I'd love to move to K402s up front with some sort of hybrid setup or 2 Jubilees and a Jubscala for the center channel. And, the ability to use the Jubilees for a 2 channel setup in the future.

Question: Is a 15' span across the front wall large enough to accommodate 2 Jubilees and a Jubscala?

Subwoofer note: Wasn't intending to do an IB setup, but I could be convinced I guess. Was really looking at Dual SVS subs. Not sure if an IB setup would work in this framework.

Don't use Integer multiples of room dimensions, I.e. 10 x 15 x 20.  The integer multiples reinforce standing waves/room modes.  In my example, 5 and 10 foot wave lengths (113 and 226 Hz) will resonate strongly in that room. 

Look up golden ratio.  Consider wall lengths of 1:1.6:2.56, or 8' x 12.8' x 20.5', or 10' x 16' x 25.6'.  Also consider non-parallel walls.  I built a room  that way in my basement once and the results were very good (+/-4 dB 16 Hz to 14k Hz). 

post-2142-13819498863272_thumb.jpg

• Like 1