For KLF-C7 owners

Snails_Pace

I have a question for those of you using your C7s as surrounds or effects speakers and have them standing vertically in your listening room vice horizontally. I have recently decided to go with 4 C7s for my side and rear surrounds in a 7.1 HT setup. I secured my last C7 last week and am now just waiting to return home from my deployment to start having some fun 9.gif. But then I remembered the screw hole in the bottom of the cabinet which would normally be used with the spike to angle the speaker up/down for center channel use. Have any of you decided to fill the hole with wood putty or other material? I've never noticed any kind of whistling or leaking sound from the C7 I'm using as a center channel, but then that one is sitting horizontally above the TV on its own shelf, not out in the open like a surround speaker would be. Would I be better off just leaving well enough alone, or have any of you noticed that the sound improves with a fully sealed enclosure? I don't want to mod the cabinet only to find out I've made matters worse. Just curious if anyone had considered this before. Thanks.

- Jason

Snail,

I'd leave it alone. If you do have problems I'd get regular screws that fit the threads and then paint the screws black.

Let me know how you like them mounted vertically. I am also using the KLFC-7's for surrounds. I finally mounted them to the wall yesterday. Mine are horizontial. They sound good. I have not used them to watch a movie, but for 5 channel stereo or watching the Worls Series they sounded better than I thought they would.

Danny

Remember, if you intend to mount the speaker vertically, you should rotate the horn 90 degrees to maintain the 90 degree wide by 60 degree high dispersion pattern.

Funny, I thought I read many moons ago (in this forum no less), that the C7's horn was actually slightly "mismatched" as a center driver due to space constraints in the cabinet and would--in fact--provide a better dispersion pattern if used vertically. I'll have to dig deep into the archives I suppose, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering it right. Maybe it was just that the C7 would "also" work vertically as opposed to "sounding better" if oriented vertically. Hmmmm.... Thanks for the replies.

- Jason

bob, like sp i thought the same. iow, i though the C7 horn was designed to disperse more vertically in its regular horizontal placement. that way the sound is more confined to the screen instead of being dispersed across the paths of the fronts.

if its designed to be more horizontal in dispersion, maybe i should turn it verticle as a center. 9.gif please confirm.

Jason - I recall hearing the same thing in reference to the horn orientation. I know HornEd is using two C7s mounted vertically for his front effects speakers. He seemed pretty pleased with how they integrated with the KLF-30s. Its a shame, but I haven't seen the "O HornEd One" on the board in quite some time. I am getting ready to use them as my front effects speakers as well, just have to pick up a couple. They will be my front effects and rear center channels. You have much to look forward to when you get back, have a safe trip! I was going to be heading out myself, but decided enough was enough and decided to retire. Fortunately I had a civilian job offer too good to pass up. Take Care!!

i may be wrong, but I don't think horned rotated his C7 horns when he went vertically. think i got the info above from him - that the C7 horn radiates more vertically in its normal horizontal position as would make sense to me.

so if you're using them for effects or other surround speaks you put them verticle to get a wider dispersion. if i'm wrong then all you have to do is put them horizontal & not mess w/ the horns.

but i'm going from memory. anybody know for sure which way the horn radiates in its original position?

but i'm going from memory. anybody know for sure which way the horn radiates in its original position?

----------------

...that's the problem--I'm going from memory too and I can't seem to find the old posts using the BBS search engine. However, based on my somewhat crude method of investigation (i.e. pulling off the grill and looking at the driver 2.gif), the horn looks about 50% taller than it is wide when the speaker sits in the horizontal position. This should translate into about 50% more horizontal dispersion than vertical when the speaker is rotated 90 degrees (I just took the GRE again so I'm dusting off my quantitative reasoning skills here).

sp, good idea, lazy me. 11.gif i just took the grill off my front C7 too & it also looks to me like, in its speaker horizontal position, the horn is definitely set to radiate more vertically than horizontally.

so if that's true, then you'd just want to turn them vertical w/o turning the horns. that's all i think horned did when using them for front effects. of course you could always try both ways at your place & find which way sounds best for you.

in fact, i believe the only horn HE rotated was on his converted klf-30 center (along w/ a whole new motorboard). & he did that so the horn would radiate more verticle for this speak in the horizontal position - i.e., because placing a klf-30 verticle over a tv wouldn't be too practicle. 2.gif