Help with a silent Tweeter..

justin_tx_16

I picked up the Pioneer VSX-D511 today. Works great, DTS, DD, ProLogicII etc etc. Only problem, no manual. Ok. So the tweeter issue.

The Yamaha NS-6's I am going to use till at least my sophomore at college (don't wont to ruin even crappy looking klipsch) worked just peachy about a month ago. But now one of the NS-6's tweeters is not working, at all. Worked a month or so ago. Other than that I really do like them, they don't sound half bad, a little to much high end, but i can tweak that.

Ok. So no sound on one tweeter. I unscrewed it from the MDF enclosure and i see that it is connected to the speaker just fine. One thing i noticed, the speaker cable inside is no larger than 24awg. I will upgrade that if I can get the tweeter to work. I really need my camera right now.. grrr.... So I am thinking that maybe it got disconnected at the crossover, which I can see but only through the speaker holes. How else do you get to it in an MDF cabinet? no obvious screws, only place I can see them being is behind the plastic capped holes for the speaker grills.

I oiled the surrounds with some stuff theears and ray (i think) recommended about 1 year ago, just labeled "oil for surrounds", i got it from my friends dad who worked at a Berings Hardware.

Any help is appreciated. I am going to work on removing the 9" woofer and see what I can find behind it.

Ok, i just took out the woofer and was set. crossovers are so basic!

Yamaha_NS-6_Crossover.gif

I made that real quick so excuse its crappyness. Anything here seem interesting? Good, Bad? Everything matches the quality of the stuff I get from Mouser Electronics. The BIG circles are the spools of wire, the blocks are resisters and the cylinders are capacitors. I hope you can translate that.

I could not find anything wrong with the connection of the tweeter, i am going to unsolder the other one and see if i switch them around to find out if it is the tweeter or something else I have not thought of.

They are 1 inch dome tweeters, assembled in 1982, looks like March. it said,

DATE

3 82

when i took off the grills, the

Y A M A H A

Model NS-6

metal sticker still had the plastic coating on it.

thanks for any ideas