Cornwall III

kink56

I have been living with my new Cornwall IIIs for only two days now, but have some comments.  I also have Heresy III and Forte I with Crites Ti tweeter diaphragms and his crossovers. 

I first placed my Cornwalls about 3 inches from the back walls with large Entec subwoofers flanking them, acting as corners. I found the upper bass to be blurred and boomy. I did not expect them to have a fatter bass than the Forte I. (a bit lower yes, but not fatter).   I was disappointed. Then after a few hours of experimenting, I now have them simply moved forward and about 10 inches from the back wall.  MUCH BETTER!    I find the midrange and highs just about the same as the Forte I, but the bass is more defined.      In fact, I tried the Cornwalls without my subwoofers (I had done this with the Forte Is too).  And this is the first speaker I have ever owned where I could live without subwoofers at all. (not the case with Heresy or Belle).  But I put on some CDs with the lowest bass information and my subwoofers do add that very bottom octave gut punch (20Hz to 40Hz) so I will not be relinquishing them. 

I find it interesting that many find that just the opposite (moving them closer to the back wall) is where they find the best results. I am happy to find that I could improve my situation after being let down by my first inclination for placement.  Of course it would have been less hassle had they sounded best where I first put them, as they are not very easily moved on carpet by myself. 

I am happy with my purchase so far.  I do need more time with them to solidify my opinion, but so far so good.   I am also a bit surprised that the mids are a tad more recessed than any other Klipsch I have had.   Which is not bad at all. 

Good evening - I am now about a solid month into my Cornwall III's

I have moved mine around and am still playing around.

I do not use a Subwoofer - I myself am very pleased.

My first real foray into a dedicated 2 channel system -  I must say I am very pleased!

Each day seems to get better!

IMG_4273.JPG

• Like 4

• Moderators

Sounds like your getting it worked out, I guess every room is going to act differently. The good thing is it's free to move them around so try different positions, many say a few inches can make a difference. Not the easiest thing to move but a few inches is not bad. 

I don't really believe or don't know about break in but I have to say a few weeks into using them I heard a difference and never said anything. My wife even asked what I did, which was nothing but she noticed it also on her own.

3 minutes ago, SonicBliss said:

Good evening - I am now about a solid month into my Cornwall III's

Good looking room Sonic.

Yes, nice room.  I have an old timey stereo cabinet, very vertical.   I would like to find a nice low and wide cabinet that will accommodate my components.  So many entertainment cabinets do NOT have room between the rear of the shelves and the back panel for the interconnects. Many are not deep enough for larger power amps and CD changers.  And many do not have shelves wide enough to fit in a component that has rack mount ears.   It is as if these cabinet makers have no idea about stereo components and they seem to be built for cable/VCRs/DVD players and NOT for 2 channel stereo component and systems having 6 or 8 separate components.     And I do not want an open rack style as I want to hide all my wires behind the cabinet, or inside the cabinet.   Heck I have 11 pieces in all and my power amp does not physically fit in ANY of the shelves. 

Also they have shelves or drawers for media storage taking up precious space for components too.  I just can find anything. Maybe I will have to hire a cabinet maker to do a custom job for me.