Quartet troubles

bluelobster

Last week I hooked up an amp I had been going over and when I powered up the brief flash told me I had a short. Unfortunatly my Quartet speakers were affected I think. The mids are real muddy now, especially sounds like guitars. I would appreciate any leads on where to look, hoping it might have stopped in the crossover network(open cap maybe?)

It is not totally clear what happened.

There was a flash. Of light? Not from the speakers I trust. Maybe a short in the wiring to the speaker?

I don't know your level of technical knowledge but if you're messing with the amp, it may be fairly high. But then the question doesn't make too much sense. No criticism, just an observation.

I'd say, first, take the grills off and give a good listen to the three drivers on each speaker box with some music or noise from a tuner set between stations so you get noise. You can pry off the grills with a butter knife. They are stuck on with magnets and will pop off. You'll see the bass driver, the mid and the tweeter, in order of size from big to little.

Put an ear close to the bass (woofer), mid (squaker), and high frequency (tweeter). One trick from the automotive world to focusing on sources of noise is to use a piece of tubing to improvise a stethoscope. Perhaps a tube from a roll of paper towels would do as well. It looks silly while you do this, but it works.

If the drivers are functioning you'll hear the bass without problem. The squarker (sp???) will be somewhat tinny in sound. The tweeter will be scratchy. If you hear nothing, you're getting closer to the problem.

If one or more of the individual units are not producing sound, you'll have to gain access to the insides of the box. I've not taken my Quartets apart. It looks to me that the best way of doing this is to remove the passive radiator in the back.

My guess is that if there is no output from a given driver/horn, you have fryed a driver, rather than a portion of the crossover.

But, make a listening test first and then let us know what you find.

Gil