RF-3 or RB-3 w/ Subwoofer?

Detroit Kid

I'm considering buying either the RF-3's without a subwoofer OR the RB-3's with a subwoofer. I haven't had a chance to hear they RF-3's yet, but heard the RB-3's and love 'em. I have a cheaper Sony 6-speaker set (my fiance bought with her DVD player as a package). The sub in that set is not bad, although I don't know if I can discern between a good sub and a piece of crap.

1) Should I buy a new sub if I get the RB-3's

2) Is a subwoofer that important to both movies and music in a home theater system?

3) What kind of bass performance would the RF-3's give when watching movies in digital 5.1?

4) (bonus question) If I get the RB-3's for the front, why not get them as surround speakers, too? The RS-3's cost just as much!

Yes a subwoofer is extremely important when talking about movies or music. Its like listening to a whole new CD or DVD is you have a subwoofer. In music it adds all the bass you need to get the feeling of the music. In movies it adds to the special effects that the speaker are not capable of producing. If you get the RB-3's you will definately need a subwoofer. The 6.5"woofer isn't going to give you much bass. The RF-3II's will give you more than the RB-3's for sure, but they are not known for their bass. Everyone pretty much gets a subwoofer when they get the RF-3II's. Although everyone here also likes to spend alot on their equipment. It sounds like your on a budget crunch. If I were you I would get the RF-3II's, extremely nice speaker, you will love them. Then if you can't afford a subwoofer, just don't get one until you can save up for one. I say this because if you get the RB-3's your going to want to upgrade to the RF-3II's and it just saves you thats much more money. As for the bass performance of the RF-3II's in watching movies in DD 5.1, I really don't have much to say cause I always have the sub on, I haven't listened to movies with the sub off yet, but I will tell you that they are very nice speakers for movies, you will hear things with them that you never heard before, and you'll end up watching all your old movies over again. The RF-3II's do have bass, dont' get me wrong, but its just that I and many other like to have huge bass, and you won't get that from these speakers. My vote is definately for the RF-3II's, and you can always use no sub, your old sub, or save and get a new one down the road. Either way it will beat the pants off of what ever sony can make.

welcome dk. that's a great question & helps me illustrate a point. 9.gif i'd definitely go the rb w/ a good, adequate sub.

most likely you'll have a receiver w/ a fixed crossover at 80hz or so anyway, & it'll sound best setting all speaks to small to avoid destructive interference w/ the sub.

i'd say the same for rf-3 & sub. unless you have an adjustable crossover in your receiver or prepro that lets you drop the freq down to 40-50hz, why have bigger fronts for material when you're playing all speaks. w/ a fixed 80hz cross, may as well get some better quality speaks that only go to around 60hz flat & put the extra money in a good sub.

or if you have or get big speaks that will do like 30-40hz flat, get a receiver or prepro/amp w/ good power & an adjustable crossover to down low.

boa12,

I do have a setting on my Sony STR-DE575 receiver for LFE (Low Frequency Effect), which can be set from 0db to -20db. Sony recommends setting it at 0db to get "the full LFE signal at the mix level determined by the recording engineer". This probably means I don't have the control that you speak of - having 'an adjustable crossover', right? Could I get a preprocessor to do all of this stuff that you're talking about?

You recommendation is to get the RB-3s with a good subwoofer. If I had a better receiver (allowing me to set the crossovers, would your recommendation be different? Can you recommend a subwoofer that wouldn't break the bank?

Also, aren't the RF-3IIs and RB-3s similar in price? If so, aren't the RF-3IIs a better speaker?

Sorry for the neophyticity (word?) and thanks a bunch for the help.

----------------

On 10/23/2002 10:04:03 PM Detroit Kid wrote:

"boa12,

I do have a setting on my Sony STR-DE575 receiver for LFE (Low Frequency Effect), which can be set from 0db to -20db. Sony recommends setting it at 0db to get "the full LFE signal at the mix level determined by the recording engineer". This probably means I don't have the control that you speak of - having 'an adjustable crossover', right? Could I get a preprocessor to do all of this stuff that you're talking about?"

yes & yes. the adjustable crossover & bass management pertain to the low bass in the speaker channels & how that is routed to the sub. lfe is a whole dif thing - its the .1 discrete channel info in the 5.1 material. & yes probably best to leave it flat at 0. more LFE the better, right? though for dts 5.1 music/concert disks the lfe may be a lil much & some recommend dropping the LFE for this stuff down up to 10db (-10db).

& yes of course an adjustable crossover is best to have but its mainly in more expensive receivers & prepros, like b&k receivers & prepros, denon receivers like the 4802, 5803, etc. also you want a set-up w/ some power because you're having to push the bigger speaker woofs for higher impact in leau of using a sub instead for that frequency range.

"You recommendation is to get the RB-3s with a good subwoofer. If I had a better receiver (allowing me to set the crossovers, would your recommendation be different? Can you recommend a subwoofer that wouldn't break the bank?"

depends on your budget, but some great performers for a <$1000 cost are sv subs @ www.svsubwoofers.com , paradigm pw2200, etc. check out or post in the powered subwoofer section at this site.

"Also, aren't the RF-3IIs and RB-3s similar in price? If so, aren't the RF-3IIs a better speaker?"

i think the rb-3 is about $100 or 2 less than rf-3. the rb-5 & rf-3 are the same price. w/ the rb bookshelfs you get real wood finish over the veneer finish of the rf-3. but w/ the rf-3 you get bigger bass floorstanders though its questionable why you need that w/ a high fixed crossover in the processor of a receiver.

i'd definitely get the rb-3 & put the extra dough in a sub over going just rf-3 & no sub. unless you're only listening to 2 channel music w/ no sub. i think the rb-3, rc-3, either rs-3 or 2 more rb-3 for surround, & a good sub like an svs would be a nice speaker sys for the $ along w/ your sony. & if you ever get that bigger, better receiver or seperates you could get some bigger mains & move the rb-3 to rear surround duty in 7.1.

best though to demo things at your place & let your ears & budget decide what's best for you.

I second that, I have the RF-3II and they have soo much bass. I only turn the subwoofer for movies now. One thing to consider is room acoustics. If I were you I would by from a shop that has 30 days return policy, so you can test the RF-3 in your room, position them correctly, and see if the bass is enough.

Well to tell you the truth. I was actually supprised on how much bass RF-3s have. Those 8 inch woofers packs some punch for there size. The only complient I have on bass is it does't go as low as some music I play, but 85% of the time there plenty. I only have to go 1/5 of my volume and my door is shakeing. If you get close enough, you can feel them, alittle bit, but its plenty enough to get along without a sub for awhile. But I still suggest a sub later down the road, but the RF-3s should be fine till you get one.