Does an onkyo 797 need an amp?

drdave

I wonder if you experts out there could help me? I am wondering if an amp is a necessary piece of equipment. I have an Onkyo 797 which supposedly can output 100 amps of power into each channel. Would another amp be of benefit?

I have Klipsch SP-1, SC-1, SS1 and an infinity il120s subwoofer.

Thanks!

DrD - You have an Onkyo receiver, which would have a built-in amp. Is another one necessary? No. Is another one desirable? Depends -- do you like the way it drives your system now? 100 watts per channel (if it truly puts out 100wpc) it usually more than enough, especially for Klipsch speakers since they are so efficient.

Amp changes, beyond power, can bring improved sound. Really depends on what you're after.

DD

Hi Dave,

Is the 797 matched up with Klipsch? If so, I would recommend that you audition outboard amps. I can only speak from my own experience, but, this last year, I put together a home theater for my bedroom. I bought an Onkyo 696, also rated at 100 watts/channel, based on my previous experiences with Onkyos. I immediately noticed that the sound quality and power was inferior to a 10-12 year old Onkyo receiver, which was rated at only 80 watts/channel. I bought a Parasound 1205A power amp and that made the sound better by 54,038,873 country miles (I measured this precisely 2.gif ). I then sold my 696 and bought a Rotel 1066 pre/pro, which also improved the sound, especially in two-channel, but only by 1,465,412 country miles. I'm sure the 797 has a better power supply and may well sound better all around than the 696, but the Parasound was much warmer sounding to me than the power supply of the Onkyo. You might just want to audition one of the Harman Kardon 2-channel amps, as I hear they match up very nicely with the Klipsch, as do Parasounds.

By the way, how does your 797 sound to you? If you like the sound, that's great, as it is a fine receiver. I'm just relating my experiences using my ears with my set up.

• 2 weeks later...

i, or now my son owns a 797, and no, it does not need an amp unless you are trying to go to 7.1, it is a very powerfull-clean amp, with alot of bells and whistles, it kept me very happy until i heard rotel, but it does everything very well, aand very cleanly, my son really l;ikes it for his gaming12.gif