best audio possible

kcott

hi all,

i'll try to keep this short.

im looking for the best quality audio for my apt. i have 3 room apt. speakers in mutiple rooms hooked up to central audiofile stereo. stereo, dvd player, and tv is in living room, my computer in dinning room (my art room), and my girls computer in bedroom.

music comes from both computers, internet mp3 radio and digital cd files, dvd movies, and cds and mp3 cds played on the dvd player (which sounds terrible now)

i would love to have a external dac that can play music from both computers and from external dvd player.

any ideas of how to best do this?

i could spend some cash and get a audigy sound card for both computers hooked with cables to my stereo and a promedia 5.1 for the dvd player, but then i'm wasting money for 3 dacs.

i don't want to use a usb solution for the computers since they are cpu heavily used and will affect sound quality.

they are cheap S/PDIF output cards, but i'm worried that they not having 24 bit internal affects quality? or does that only affect its dac?

to have two S/PDIF output audio cards for only $30 hooked up to the dd-5.1, plus my dvd player would be great if will work and if the dd-5.1 has a dac that is as good or better than traditional sound cards.

kc