Video co-ax cable

Tom Adams

Wasn't sure where to post this, however......

Does anyone here know what the heck RG59 co-ax cable is? I'm familiar with RG6 and thought that was the standard for video co-ax. But this past weekend I saw this package that had pre-made terminal ended co-ax and was labeled as RG59.

Tom Adams

Doug,

I agree for indoor short wire runs between components.

I have heard that RG59 can burn up when used on the satelite end of the satelite receiver. The install guy told me he has seen it happen.

BTW, i usually do all of my own installs but used the dishmover so cost was $0.00 and alot less headach. Guy was actually pretty cool. He grew up with Jesse James from the Moster Machines show.

EJ

RG6 and RG59 are just two of the many 75 ohm coaxial cables available. RG6 is a bit larger and has a little bit better loss figures. Otherwise, they are interchangeable. Both are very old designs. There are better 75 ohm cables available nowadays with less loss, better shielding, wider bandwidth, smaller size, better flexibility, etc. But any will probably work as well for the typical home video application.

EJ,

You installer obviously doesn't know anything about cable. You are lucky your system works.

He is not my installer! LOL Just a guy that was installing my Dish for free at the new house.

Of course I inspected his work for quality. He wired everything with RG6, gave me a free dish for my HD channels, and two duplexors for when I install in the new rooms. I was happy.

I will expand and you can tell me if he is full of it. He said the signals that the receivers pass back and forth to the dish degrade the RG59 over time. If I remember right he said when they communicate ie pass signals back through the line out the dish the current will heat up the line causing it to ultimately fail over time. It might be possible on long cable runs. Anyway I just said Hmmm and noded.

EJ

RG-6 has a larger center conductor and foil & strand shield. It is great for long runs andlow signal loss. RG-50 is a smaller center conducter w/ a copper braided shield. It is use a lot in broadcast & video facilities for runs of 150 feet and less. It is also low loss but cannot cary the signal as well for longet distances.

• Like 1