Hah! Found my old turntable...

Tom Mobley

that balance pot has 160K on one side and 120K on the other when centered. That seems like a lot of resistor to cut out of a circuit, especially a circuit that only as a volt or two in it. Anybody else do this? How about I pick up a couple quality 100Ks and install them?

Worse, the vol pot is really jacked. when it's at a low level like I usually play it's 2.6K on side and 1.2K on the other. It's going.

Thanks for your input,

Tom

Tom:

This is exactly how I have started to get back into my record collection. But I found my old Technics table in the back of one of my parents storage closet while visitng them in Tucson this summer. I bought an inexpensive but amazingly-good-for-the-money Walco cartridge (hell if I know if it's aligned right -- I need to get a good guage!), am using a GREAT 9 volt battery powered (former Radio Shack product)MM phono stage. I've got a few schematic for tubed phono stages, and plan to build one of them this coming summer.

This sounds like a great find for you! Have fun, and beware that it's addicting (but what's new about that in audio!?)

Have Fun,

Erik

Erik,

I put it back in the box and put it up on a high shelf. But, it's where I can see it now. I just don't have time and resources to go off into the vinyl deal now. I still need to get my LS's finished and I've got a bunch of new parts for the Eico. I bought a new vol pot from AES, along with a shaft extender, cool. But, then I notice that it's got a 1/4" shaft and the Eico's are 3/16". So off to one of my buddies who has a lathe, turn it down to 3/16". He also has a gorgeous genuine Bridgeport mill, must have been made in the 60's but looks like new. I'll use that to make the flat side, it'll look like it was made that way. I cut a bunch of pistons on it awhile back, it's dead nuts true. This thing is the machinist's equivilant of the Scott Pat got the other day.

Tom