Help with HT Receiver

ScottyYo

I am in the market for a new HT receiver in the approx $1000 range. Currently I have the quintet system with a KSW 12, but plan to move up to the Klipsch Reference Series (RF-3, RC-3, RS-3).The receivers that I have been looking at are the Pioneer Elite VSX- 45TX which has THX select, the Marantz SR 8200 THX, and the Denon AVR 3803. All of these receivers have about the same output and features; however, I noticied the Marantz doesn't have any component in/ outs. Does anyone have these receivers or know anything positive/ negative about them? I have been leaning more toward the Denon b/c of name, and it's dual room capabilities; however, it is not THX certified. Does the THX certification really make that much of a difference? All help is greatly appreciated!

Scotty - If you haven't already done so, take a cruise through this HT forum looking over the threads from the last couple of weeks. I think there have been several discussions which might help in general, if not specifically.

IMO, the THX certification is way overrated. You don't necessarily see that on even very expensive preamps/amps. You can typically achieve the same or better results on machines lacking that logo (for which they must pay a premium).

DD

In the $1k range the Denon 3802 is very popular and recently replaced by the 3803. It seems to be at the knee of the Denon receiver price/performance curve. They are $700 on-line.

Others have been thrilled with the $1k Yamaha RX-V1 which used to be $3k before being replaced by another model. It is about $1k on line and around $1.2k at Tweeter.

You can get a mint used Outlaw 1050 for $400 delivered. It is propriety 6.1 vs Denon's 7 channels and no ProLogic II. There is a review that describes the 1050 similar to 3802 but a little more soundstage debth in the 3802...not bad since the Outlaw is priced more like the Denon 1802 (if I got the model correct).

The Denon 3802 at $700 seems like a great place to start.

You could sell it used and upgrade to separates down the road by adding amps to the Denon and then swapping the Denon for a pre/pro.

I'm using the low priced Outlaw 1050 which sounds great with my Cornwalls--especially playing DVD movies. I'm now focusing my electronic funds on 2-channel audio using a tube amplification and a turntable instead of one expensive SS separate system for both HT and 2-channel. The boards recommendation for best music sound w/heritage was to use tube amps.

Thanks fot all the help thus far guys! So basicsally the THX logo is just an advertising gimic? I noticed that the Denon 3802 has 7.1 widescreen mode. Is this similar to the THX format? I found the Denon 3803 on crazyeddie's for about $900. Is this a good price or should I keep looking on the net?

You should also check out the new offerings from Harman Kardon. The AVR525 would be in direct competition with the 3803 and is definitely a nice alternative. BTW, I thought the 3803 was listing for $1,200?!? I believe the 525 is $999 (when it is released) and Onecall.com is advertising 10% off with shipping included and they are an AUTHORIZED DEALER. Be careful of those internet companies selling the 3803 at $700 since I am almost positive that they will not be authorized which means the warranty is no good. Is it worth $200?

7.1 widescreen mode is a simulated sound field. It does not compare to THX. As I understand it, you let the DD, DD-EX and DTS decoders do their work and you get the sound that was intended in THX. I could not be very much happier with my 3802 and the 6.1 capablilities.

I tend to stay away from simulated fields - just too much tweaking required for individual sources. However I do like Denon's multichannel stereo and I am a fan DPLII.

I agree with the recommendations and can give an experienced thumbs up to Denon. That said, Denon has had a rash of reported quality problems lately that means you should look closely when making your call.