question about cdrom drive detection in bios

Mitch

Well, I recently formatted my computer, and just got everything up and running. But I am having a hard time remebering what to do about my cd rom drives. I have a normal dvd/cd rom drive, and a cdrw drive. I have them set as master/slave respectively on IDE 2. When I go into "IDE hard disk detection" in bios, should these two drives show up? My hard drive shows up fine as the IDE 1 master, but I cant remeber if bios will detect the cdrom drives as actual "hard disks". The main reason I am asking this is because both my cd rom drives show up in my system control panel, but I have been unable to burn cds. I get errors like "unable to identify d:" Should these drives be auto detecting in bios?

There should be an autodetect selection in the BIOS.. They should be autodetected in BIOS if setup correctly.

What other type of Hardware do you have If they are detected in Device Manager tab then things should be fine. Which drives do you have? Some can handle DMA mode.. some can't. Most likely.. the DVD will handle it fine so make sure that is checked as for the CD-RW.. My new Plextor 16X handles it fine.. my old Sony CRX100E did not handle DMA mode.

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

ProMedia 4.1

I have a Western Digital 18 gig on IDE 1 master. Then I have a Pioneer 16x 116 dvdrom/cd rom drive on ide2 master, and an Acer 6x4x32 on ide2 slave. I am thinking it has something to do with the pioneer drive, because before i installed it, both my old cdrom drive and my acer cdrw drive were detecting in bios. The first time I installed my decoding program (powerdvd 3.0) it asked me if i wanted to enable dma mode on the drives. I think i only enabled it for the pioneer drive. Should I set it up for both? Like you said, the dvd drive seems to handle it well, but i dont know about my burner. Regardless, it doesnt seem like dma mode would have anything to do with detection in bios. Do you think i should try to flash my bios with a newer version? I have an abit bx6-2.

Allright, I did everything i possibly could think of to figure out whats going on, but to no avail. Here is what I did:

First, I took out my cdrw drive, and set the dvd drive as master on ide 2, while my hard drive was master on ide 1. The hard drive detected in bios, the dvd drive didn't.

Second, I took the dvd drive out, and put my cdrw drive in as master on ide 2, with my hard drive as master on ide 1. Once again, the hard drive detected fine in bios, cdrw did not.

Ok, so then I took out both my cd rom drives. I then installed my dvd drive as slave on ide 1, with the hard drive as master on ide 1. Same thing...hard drive detected, cd rom drive didnt.

Next, I took out both cd rom drives. I then added a second hard drive as slave on ide 1, with my normal hard drive as master on ide 1. BOTH hard drives detected fine in bios.

So i was thinking my ide 2 interface was shot. Well, I then hooked up one hard drive as master on ide 2, with the other hard drive as master on ide 1. BOTH hard drives detected fine in bios.

I then tried every single jumper option possible, repeating the process above using cable select, master/slave, and every combo in between. Still no cd rom detection in bios.

So in conclusion, I have no idea what to do. You should know that the above process was tried with my motherboard's stock bios, and then tried once again with the latest bios version. What could possibly be wrong? My cd rom drives used to detect fine in bios before I got my current dvd drive. I did not change my cdrw drive, but now it doesnt detect either. PLEASE help me if you have any idea what i should do. Thanks!

Did you try clearing the bios?

I had a similar problem, also have a Pioneer 16x dcd, 105. Originally I had a HD as master on ide1 and the dvd as well as my burner on channel 2. Then I got a scsi HD, and put the dvd on ide 1 and burner on ide 2. After doing so i could no longer enable dma on the dcd drive. This was win98.

Also I really have a hard time adding other ide devices with this config, sometimes they are not detected, or I have to really screw around with the arrangement - for ex. hard drives will not install as slave under either cdrom as master. I don't know if its the pioneer drive or the mobo, but flashig my bios didn't help. In the end I put on winme and it worked, but crashed lika a *****, so i changed to 2k.

Also pioneer has a rom update for their dvd drivers on their site... try that. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/ServiceAndSupport/SelfHelpForIndList/1,1458,60~6020~6020600,00.html