Wondering about connections

Eagle_0_9r

ok. using powerdvd 4.0 xp or windvd 4, you can get great DTS decoding.

if you like surround sound gaming, don't get too excited about the DD-51. S/PDIF limitations leave you unable to send 5.1 signal that is not DD or DTS. 99.9% of games for the computer aren't. so you would be stuck with stereo gaming, you could "prologic" it and get fake surround, but it is not the same.

Aaaahhhhh. Thanks for the explanation. On another note..... When I try to watch movies my center channel doesnt produce any sound. I am using WinDVD 3 (though I have tried 4 and didn't like it as much). I have switched to both 5.1 channels and S/PDIF in WinDVD but still no center channel. In 5.1 mode the sound from the center channel is missing, though echoes can be heard in the other channels. In S/PDIF mode the center channel is distributed to the FL and FR channels to create a virtual center channel as in 4 speaker mode. Any idea why this would be happening? The center channel works in other applications.

It is and they are. I just tested it using a different DVD and it worked fine. The only time I dont get center channel sound is when I watch The Lord of the Rings. Could that have something to do with it being Dolby Digital EX 5.1 (thats what it says on the box)? Thats the only thing I can think of. If that's it how can it be solved.