Denon 3803

phips25

I know that I have asked for opinions on this particular unit before and my frequent questioning on the issue is probbly getting annoing. But I have to ask it differently, curently I have the denon 2802 and allmost love it. The sound is great but there are some features I dont like. I am still within my tradin period on my denon and for $400 can the 3803 which is backlit, has the second coaxial input so i can finnally connect both my dvd player and cable box at the same time. However i am not sure if the on screen display is outputed through the component out unlike the 2802. Is the 7.1 any advantage over the 6.1 i have now for future purposes. Could someone please explain to me how curent 6.1 resources are processed to 7.1 speakers. Are the speakers simulated? All input is welcome and i mean all because i want feedback on this potential puchace. What do you all think?

Thanks

Phips

Here are the specs from the Denon web page and yes i think you will have OSD with the components.

Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 7.1 A/V Receiver Dolby Digital Surround EX, Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1 decoding DTS Extended Surround Matrix 6.1 decoding DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding DTS ES 96/24 5.1 decoding for DVD Video New DDSC-Digital featuring Analog Devices Melody 100 (HammerHead SHARC) 32 bit floating point DSP processor 7 Channels equal power amplifier section 110 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD) 150 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, <.7%THD) 16 Burr-Brown PCM-1791 24 bit, 192 kHz high resolution DACs on all eight channels, in differential configuration Real 24 bit, 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver 24 bit, 192 kHz A/D conversion (Burr-Brown PCM-1804) on all analog inputs Pure Audio mode, features 4 DACs per audio channel in dual-differential configuration ALPHA 24 Processing (AL24) in Stereo/Direct/Pure Direct modes (left/right channels) Adjustable High and Low Pass Crossover (40/60/80/100/120Hz) 2 Assignable component video inputs (100MHz), with On-Screen Display Video Conversion of Composite to S-Video and/or to Component, with on-screen display 7 sets composite and "S" video inputs 7.1 external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) input for future multi-channel formats (such as DVD-Audio) 5/7 Channel Stereo Digitally regulated volume control with .5dB increment adjustments and step range of -80 to +15 Audio Delay adjustment to match audio signals with video signals(0-200ms) Personal Memory Plus 7 assignable digital inputs (5 Optical, 2 Coaxial) 2 Optical digital outputs 9 analog inputs including built-in AM/FM tuner Multi-Zone 1 stereo pre-amp level audio outputs, fixed or variable level Multi-Zone 1 Composite Video output Power Amplifier Assign function, lets you assign 2 of the 7 amp channels to drive second zone speakers directly LCD dot-matrix programmable/learning remote features TV, VCR, DVD codes from other manufacturers with full backlighting Serial Port for Third Party Control Systems Remote I/O ports Assignable +12v trigger Dimensions: 17.1"w x 6.7"h x 16.4"d SRP $1199 Available at Dealers in LATE OCTOBER/EARLY NOVEMBER '02

I would spend the $400 and trade up the 2802 to the 3803. I have the 3802 and I think it is great. One of the biggest new features of the 3803 is that it now "up mixes" the video to the component. That tells me that the OSD will show up through the component output. I wish I could trade up my 3802 to the 3803, but I bought my unit online (no dealeers in the area at the time). Oh well, my current TV does not do component video anyways and I don't plan on upgrading for another 5 years or so.

You get the onscreen display with the 3802 right? I know I do. You don't get that with the 2802? I do like that feature and I think it would be worth upgrading to the 3803. The 7.1 is a great thing to add on in the future. I know I will someday and that is why I chose to go with the 3802.

You do get the on screen display with the 2802. It is with a regular digital out labeled monitor. Why do you want a component out for your onsreeen display? Who care if it is component or just video, its just on screen display, not DVD or anything important. If your not completely happy with the 2802 why not go with the 3803, I would rather spend $500 on something I like rather than $100 on somthing I don't. And the 6.1 upgraded to 7.1 is just as it sounds. Instead of 6 speakers each receiving a separate digital sound, 7 speakers can receiver a unique sound. Depends on if you want to buy 7 speakers in the future.