Dual or Quad Woofers in Center Speaker?

Zedly

I currently have a serviceable, but unimpressive center channel speaker and am looking to upgrade. My room is 12' x 18', with the TV in the middle of the 18' side and the sofa directly across from it. Also, one of the 12' sides is open, with a dining area  and kitchen beyond.

I am strongly leaning toward the RP-500C because it seems to have about the right about of power to fill my space. However, I am wondering about the differences and trade-offs between having dual 5.25" woofers versus quad 3.5" (R-34C) or 4" (RP-404C) woofers. Are there any significant benefits to choosing the quad-woofer units? And are the differences between the 500C and 404C enough to justify the $200 price difference?

Neither!! ....center channels that place the woofers horizontally eliminate the favorable dispersion characteristics of MTM/D'Appolito arrays.....I use a co-axial Zu Audio cube and its brilliant as both a musical speaker and movie/center channel

2354AE4D-B8ED-4F3A-A64A-CAFA98BFF493.jpeg

• Like 1

Just went for a RP-500C last week, in combination with my RP-600M.

Really great combination and the RP-500C sounds absolutely superb.

But, I would say it all depends on your front left and right speaker, what center is the best match.

IMG_3426.jpg

• Like 1

I am planning to pair my center with RP-5000F, so I think it will work well. My main question at this point is the difference between a dual-woofer center like the 500C and a quad-woofer center with smaller woofers like the RP-404C or R-34C.

I don’t think It is fair to compare the R-34C with the RP-500C, 500C had much better spec’s. The RP-404C will be better probably, but how much I don’t know. 
Also, I wouldn’t match your RP-5000F with the R-34C, better with all your front speakers to stay in the Reference Première line.

You could check on YouTube, Techno Dad there went from the RP-250C to the RP-450C, so the older models, but he explains quite clear why he did this to pair with his RP-8000F.

Not completely a copy of your choice to make, but this might give you some extra information.

Actually this convinced me that the RP-500C was the way to go for my setup.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Zedly said:

Thanks for that video. That actually may push me towards the 450C. It's on the big side, but my stand will hold it, and I like the crossover between the different woofers. Plus it is cheaper than the 500C.

The 450C is the “old” model, the successor is the 504C or smaler one 404C, which are both from the same current Reference Premiere Line as the 500C.

So if the 450C is cheaper might also be because of age. Don’t forget your RP-5000F are also the newer model with newer looks.

21 hours ago, Docreid said:

Neither!! ....center channels that place the woofers horizontally eliminate the favorable dispersion characteristics of MTM/D'Appolito arrays.....

Agree on all counts.  I am also a fan of D' Appolito designs.  My CF-4's are my main computer speakers.

I use a co-axial Zu Audio cube and it's brilliant as both a musical speaker and movie/center channel

Your Zu Audio cube is a perfect example of what I preach, that the key to getting the proper center channel is to get QUALITY.  You have a two-way with a dome tweeter sitting between a pair of La Scala's and from what you wrote, you are perfectly satisfied with the results.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2020 at 10:14 AM, Vinza said:

Just went for a RP-500C last week, in combination with my RP-600M.

Really great combination and the RP-500C sounds absolutely superb.

But, I would say it all depends on your front left and right speaker, what center is the best match.

IMG_3426.jpg

I have the rp 600m as well, and was deciding between 450c or 500c. Should i pick the 500c like you did instead of going for 450c?