Windows Media 9-Worth The Download?

Marshal

Have any of you downloaded the Beta version of Windows Media 9? Is it significantly better than the previous versions? I have WMP 7.1 on my Win98SE PC. I already have PowerDVD4.0XP as my DVD playing software. Is WM9 worth the trouble to download? As a general rule, I don't use Beta versions, but am curious about this program.

I've been using it for about a month now with no problems. Windows Media video plays back much better (I have a couple Stern shows and normally when you start playing them the first 10-15 seconds skip by too fast with WM8, on WM9 they playback fine), there's 5.1 WM Audio support (even though there's only one clip out right now that supports it). I think in general audio quality is better. You can make it alot better with the plug-ins below.

The plug in support is way better, you can download the DFX plug in for WM9 and it greatly enhances the playback of everything from movies to music. There's also support for expanding the sound to all 5.1 speakers (not available in the demo). There's also dvd plug-ins you can purchase like the windvd and powerdvd plug-ins.

http://windowsmedia.com/9series/personalization/plugins.asp?page=4&lookup=Plugins

I'd give it a try. Remember once you're installed you can't go back unless you back up before you install. Need to use system restore in XP.