Reference vs. Heritage

Lone Palm

I visited my local Klipsch dealership yesterday and auditioned a Reference7 HT. I wasn't that impressed. My HT is LaScalas front,RC3 center and Heresys rear. The Rf7 seemed kind of thin except when the sub rumbled. I have yet to here a sub that sounds natural. I know these frequencies exist in the real world,but a sub tends to sed them over the top. Could be the way the system was set up,could be the movie(Lord Of The Rings). At any rate I am pleased with my Heritage system and would never switch at this time. Also saw new La Scallas! Mine are really primative compared to these babies. Saving now!

Good Morning! No, I didn't even look at the electrics. I can't remember the salesman's name, but He's a good man. I bought my RC-3 from him. He told me he had the speakers sat on small. I thought this odd because it seems to me that the RC-7s could handle low bass. I want to hear a sub somewhere some time that does sound natural to see if I really would like one.

This is the danger with relying on anything but an extended evalution of speakers, with familiar source material.

The RF-7's are an impressive speaker. It was not designed exclusively with music in mind, but to serve as part of a suite of speakers with home theater applications in mind. However, to set the front speakers as "small" means that it is reproducing a signal running through a digital processor and a crossover. This is not the most optimal scenario to evaluate any speaker, much less one as capable as the RF-7.

For my RF-3's, I normally leave them set as large. Since my system has a "Source Direct" setting, I will often use this mode, which overides any crossover settings for HT, by-passes the subwoofer for music listening. This is when my Rf-3's shine, and I would be the first to admit that my system, while very capbable, does not measure up to others in this forum.

Lone-

Yeah definitely sounds like a setup issue at least as far as the sub is concerned. Enabling the low pass and setting the crossover on the sub (assuming RSW) should clean that up. Placement of the sub is important as well. Also if they had the RF-7's set to small in the receiver setup, that would also make them sound thin. Perhaps a listen through a seperates setup without a sub and/or a receiver with them set to large and no sub would give you a better sense of their sonics.

~shoe