Are video signals detrimental to audio quality?

All the new HT receivers I am considering(Marantz SR8000 and Yamaha RXV 1000 and Rotel) seem to spend alot of cost on video switching.

I currently use an outboard Terk non powered S Video switcher. I do not see it as a dire inconvenience to have to manually engage other video sources.

Do we think running video signals through a receiver can adversley affect the audio quality?

Is there a manufacturer that puts the technology in the receiver and designs no video switching into a receiver?

This is an interesting question.

I've never seen any report that video being routed through an HT receiver interfers with the audio.

Of course I can imagine a situation where the video source contributes to making a ground loop. Also there have been some issues with the cable feed being above ground and creating a problem in the system overall. You really have to fix the problems at the source by proper grounding techniques.

There is an overall thought that simpler is better. A nice theory, but insisting on simplicity without a known problem to remedy is a bit unnecessary, I'd think.

Others on the bbs may be able to comment on problems switched video solves or creates. E.g. the receiver may expect to use only Dolby Pro-logic when a VCR is switched through, but may expect discrete 5 channel when a DVD player is attached.

Perhaps the question is: If I find an HT receiver without video switching, has the manufacturer taken the money saved from that feature and put it into audio technology which will give me better audio.

I doubt it. In the "old days" manufacturers of equipment made equipment with few bells and whistles and focused manufacturing costs on the basics. An example was the AR turntable. It eschued all automatic features of the record changers in favor of good performance in a manual turntable.

Times and technology have changed. Probably, all technical specs of an HT receiver ramp up hand and hand with each other and with price point. If there is a problem with audio / video signal isolation, it most likely to be cured at a higher price point. Not by simplification of design.

By analogy with autos. We might like a situation where we forego the power windows and trim in favor of a better engine and suspension. However, that type of package does not seem to exist anymore in any area.

Such are my thoughts.

Gil

I was inferring the same thought process for HT receivers...

"Audio quality and video isolation probably go hand in hand as the price increments".

The $ 2000 - 3000 for separates in HT is really nonvalue added for me since I listen to music 90% of the time or more. I will probably stay in the $1000 - 1300 range for a HT receiver to secure the "perceived " audio quality I am looking to get in 2 channel.