Once again, new Heresy owner

tgraan

Picked up a pair at an estate sale. Type H-DR-12, Serial # 9M147 and 9M148. Listening to them now and they are very pleasing. Interested in their history and whether there are any well-established recommended modifications. Seller said that they were approximately 20 yrs old. First pair of Klipsch's for me. TIA.

Heresy, Decorator, raw....meaning they will be the flush-frontstyle of Heresy, made of butt-jointed plywood, and left the factory sanded but with no finish applied to them. Manufacured in 1974, I think...and no modifications are necessary to them provided the drivers are all working well...and they should be!!...unless they were severely abused. The tweeter will be K-77(Alnico magnet) and the midrange horn driver will be the K-55V(Alnico magnet)...woofer will be the K-22 12". At the worst, you may have a blown diaphragm in one or both tweeters, but it is easy to hear if they are working or not...just turn your bass control all the way down and put your ear to them to listen. The recommended input wattage is no more than 105 watts per channel, RMS. You don't need NEARLY that much to blow the windows out of the room they are in, though!! Enjoy!!

Type C in 1974? Interesting. My 1972s have Type C. My 1975s have Type E. There was a type D used in Heresys. Apparently it was used for a very short time. The change from D to E was just a change in polarity of one driver. Guess they caught on to the need for the change pretty quickly. With Type C, you should definitely have CTS manufactured alnico woofer. Looking at it side on you will see a D shape steel structure with aluminum fillers on either side.

Woofer is labeled K-22-E. Side view of woofer magnet is D-shaped. Crossover appears to contain two capacitors (2uF and 1uF, both 600 VDC), one iron core inductor (labeled 2133), and one multi-tapped transformer-like device labeled T2A.

Handwritten in the inside bottom of one box: "1/22/74, CM".

I don't think the K-22-E is the original woofer. The K-22-E has a ceramic magnet and AFAIK is only original in later Heresys than yours with Type E, and maybe some Type D, networks. Sounds like it is a replacement. It was manufactured by Eminence. Do both speakers have K-22-E?

There should be an EIA code of the form 67-yyww stamped, where 67 is the manufacturer code for Eminence, yy is the last two digits of the year it was manufactured, and ww is the week, stamped on the woofer. Sometimes it is covered up the the Klipsch medallion. Is there a code visible on the woofer? It should tell the story.

Almost forgot modifications. Like the builder said, you don't need any. Heresys sound fine just the way they are. However, if you feel the urge, the most popular ones are damping the squawker horns and replacing the capacitors in the crossover networks. There are others. They can all be found in the archives.