HBR finishing ideas?

kjohnsonhp

First what year are these?

Heresy HBR

SN 87T003 & 04

Components: K-77 ; K-55-V ; K-22-EF

What are some options to finish the raw birch plywood? Since these are raw and in excellent shape I may want to show the wood grain.

They have four 1/8" predrilled srew holes for mounting. Would I use regular wood putty to fill these?

There is a small screw hole on the back lower frame and 2 on the very top. They were pre-drilled and carefully considered. They are MAYBE 1/16" if THAT. They are very very small

and hardly noticeable. You can only see them if you are looking down at the top of the speakers.

I'm thinking of buying these because they are under $400, local and in great shape except for the holes--which make me a little nervous.

I want them to look like they have a factory finish not a sloppy DIY job. I think I like the light oak wood look although it's probably not the best match with my other speakers

I have Walnut Oil Cornwalls and a Black Mitsu 55" TV. If I put them to the side they could be any finish. If I put one on top of the TV replacing the C7 and the other in the rear then I'm tempted to make the center black. I think I might experiment with Heresy as center but put these in the rear. I could get a more stained Heresy for center cheaper and paint it black.

The other option is to wait for WO Heresys...or maybe put the Corns in the rear and buy La Scala for front.

You left out the other option...go down and buy yourself a sheet of walnut veneered plywood and build yourself a new pair of cabinets. It isn't that difficult....if you have access to a decent table saw. you can scavenge the fronts from the birch cabinets and use the guts and backs from them for the new cabinets. Material cost is around 100 bucks, including a package of iron-on walnut edge trim!!

Those holes in those cabinets aren't any big deal unless they are drilled all the way through the panels. You can use pine wood putty, or plastic wood to fill them prior to sanding them and putting whatever finish you decide on them.

I wonder what looks good on HBR's? Golden Oak Olympic stain? Dark Walnut to sorta match my Cornwall WO? Do I put Polyurethane on them? I don't think I want to build more cabinets....just clean up what I have.

Do I try to put wood putty or filler in a 1/4" chip at the bottom or little rounding on a corner?

Anyone have any before and after raw birch refinishing pics?

The bst way to find out what you want them to look like is to experiment...go to Home depot and pick up a piece of birch plywood...2' x 2'...in the same color of grain as your speakers...use it to experiment with for your finishes...then take a piece of its veneer that is about the same color, trim it to fit with an exacto knife, and glue it onto where your chip is...then putty it with a good wood putty so that it blends in...sand it smooth, then you are all set!!