Best mid horn for corner horns

rdd3959

Yeah, I was going to suggest looking at the Selenium series at Parts Express.

I assume you're considering a mouth which is about 20 inches wide and 10 inches high.

I looked at a similar problem.

As you might know, PWK designed the K-400 horn to get as much low frequency loading as possible. Its Fc (cutoff frequency) is 271 Hertz. (It doubles in area every 2.25 inches.) The mouth is about 100 square inches. The mouth is positioned in a baffle. Therefore it can be about half the calculated size for a horn mouth without a baffle. It is a bit over 21 inches long and comes in under 24 inches long with the driver hanging off the back. That is why the combination fits in the 24 inch deep LaScala.

You're looking for a horn with a length of 15 inches. Therefore, given a flare rate close to the K-400, with a shorter length, and growing to a bigger mouth, you're running out of factors to juggle.

The only answer is to use a driver with a bigger throat. There are several Selenium drivers with a 2 inch diameter throat. So the length of the horn is reduced.

Therefore, what you're seeking can be done and some of the combination of horns and drivers from Selenium may get close enough for practical purposes.

It is interesting to note that the Belle is a bit over 18 inches deep and uses a horn different than the K-Horn. I was looking at a design where a home made Belle could use the same size horn as a K-Horn; or vice versa. So perhaps we're on the same wavelength.

Gil

Gil