1954 Rebel III

Pennzman

I have a Rebel III B, Type K-27, Serial# 478, Finish M-2 signed and tested 9-21-54. It is still in use and sounds great. Cabinet and grill cloth is orginal and in good condition. . I have owned it since 1970. I do not know the what the prior 16 years offered. Is there any value or interest in this speaker?

Do you want the honest truth? In fact, for its time, the Rebel was a pretty good little speaker, but even PWK said that is wasn't one of his better designs. There is interest in them, but moreso from a vintage collection viewpoint than from an audiophile one. Still, they are a pretty good speaker in most respects...the main problem is that they were offered as kits...in which the purchaser could either buy them assembled, and add his own components, hopefully from the list PWK sent out...OR the purchaser could build them himself...or they could be bought complete. So, there are a wide variety of them out there...they were also built under license by others...in various states of completion. The Rebel was PWK's offering to the public who could not afford the k-horn or wanted something smaller...or wanted a supplemental speaker for another room corner in a monaural set-up...early on. The value of a Rebel is moreso based on what the innards to it are than to its design, due to the increased interest in vintage drivers in the last few years.

Anyway you look at it, it is a good speaker, and one of PWK's personal designs...and for its time it was, and still is... a nice thing to have around. Enjoy it! It is shameful that so many of the Rebels have been gutted by eBay speaker ghouls who only see the additional profit to be made by selling them off in parts!! Historically speaking, there were a number of similar designs out while the Rebel was in production...some of them were licensed from Klipsch because they were such close copies!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply, The thought that folks would gut speakers and trash a cabinet that was as large, heavy and well built is beyond me. The last time I openned the speaker up was back in the late 70's. It was a task. The solid wood grill frame has 2" brass screws with the middle tapped with a threaded rosette screwed itno its center. I thought one day I would find another so I would have a match.