RC-3 and RC7 upgrade question

Compton

I am looking to buy a new center channel to replace an 8 year old Klipsch center channel that I have. I am also getting a new SVSubwoofer PC+ for christmas. Since I do not need any additional bass, is it necessary to get the RC-7? Is the RC-7 really "twice" as good as the RC-3 since it costs 2x as much? Any input is appreciated. BTW- I use Infinity front speakers.

THanks

It is not an issue of being "twice as good".

The RC-3 was designed to be a match for the RF-3 or RF-5 speakers (i.e. RF-3 as L/R channels, and RC-3 as center). The RC-7 is a better match for the RF-7 speakers.

With your Infinity L/R front speakers, you might be better served to get a matching Infinity center channel speaker. Matching is important in a home theater speaker system. It is usually referred to as "voice mathcing". The idea is that, for example, as a sound like a car or a plane, or even the human voice traveling from stage left to stage right, travels from left to center to right front speaker, the characteristics of the sound will noticably change if the speakers are not matched.

Compton,

The prior response form Mike was right on. The only thing worth adding is that the center channel is the most important channel in home theater by a large margin. The RC-7 is very clear with dialog. If you have any plans to add RF-7s in the future then an RC-7 would be perfect.

The 7 series are like any more expensive speaker; there are diminishing returns. However, they are significantly better. Whether they are worth it depends on your values and your use.

Bill

for ht the center is very important, i currently own both, and i can tell you that they are both excellent speakers, the 7's are naturally bigger sounding, but for all around sound both are good, no excellent, but for your infinities, that is questionable, the reason being the klipsch's are so much more revealing, and efficient, i auditioned both systems at the same time, mixing and matching, trying to get the most for my money, and the klipsch's just overpowered the infinities , at equal volumes the klipsch's just plainly stood out,the infinities were much more laid back (bland?) and the klipsch's are so in your face, plus the infinities were so much harder to drive, i think it would be possible, but you would spend alot of time tweaking, but the klipsch's would always shine forth.