Photos of my (humble) HT

Tom,

the "insert image into post" frabellizer used by the Klipsch site insists on inserting an unneeded double quote at the end of the URL to the photo. You need to delete that quote mark after cutting and pasting your link. Then it looks like this:

IMG]http://www.klipsch.com/ubb/uploads/HT photo 001.jpg

http://www.klipsch.com/ubb/uploads/HT photo 002.jpg

http://www.klipsch.com/ubb/uploads/HT photo 003.jpg

Ray

oops... didn't notice the spaces. Website transmongrifier doesn't like spaces. Let's try enclosing the whole damn thing in quotes...

"http://www.klipsch.com/ubb/uploads/HT photo 001.jpg"

"http://www.klipsch.com/ubb/uploads/HT photo 002.jpg"

"http://www.klipsch.com/ubb/uploads/HT photo 003.jpg"

Uhhhh...I be so confused Ray. :-/

When I copy and paste the following:

www.klipsch.com/ubb/uploads/HT photo 001.jpg

The photo I uploaded appears just fine. Are you talking about what I need to do in order to get that nifty little camera icon to appear to the right of my message post?

BTW, you didn't say anything about my "stuff". Boo hoo... wink.gif

Tom "PC challenged" Adams

Well Ray (and for those inquiring minds) my equipment isn't too exotic.

First, I'd like to draw everyone's attention to my high-tech slant riser simulator thingies for my Heresy's. To the naked eye, those would appear to be plain old wood blocks. Upon further inspection, you'd find they are precision (used a yardstick), hand cut (Stanley cross-cut hand saw), pine (#2 stud material from Lowe's) wooden height adjustment blocks. That's right, baby...nuthin's too good for my Heresy's. biggrin.gif

The TV is a Mitsu 31" (largest size I could get into that cabinet). Above the TV is my new RC-3 (which rocks IMHO) and you can see my ceiling mounted RS-3's. Below the TV, behind the smoke glass door is a Denon 3300, a Toshiba 3109 dual tray DVD, Sony 5 disc CD player and Sony Hi-Fi VCR. Not on display is my Nakamichi cassette (remember those?) and Dual turntable (what the hell is *that* for?).

Planned changes include getting rid of that wall unit and replacing it with a custom made wall unit that will function as an A/V cabinet and bookshelf/nic-nak thing. The idea is to have this cabinet look like a built-in/part of the house unit. Once that is done, the Mitsu 31" TV will be exiled to the Master Bedroom and be replaced by my new Mitsu 46" HD Widescreen. The new wall unit will also allow my Nakamichi and Dual to once again see the light of day. I'm considering semi-retiring the Heresy's to my home office sanctuary and getting a pair of RF-3's for HT duty. Also on the wants list is a separate power amp (the ATI 1505 or 1506 are looking sa-weet).

<sigh> So much to do...so little money. wink.gif

Tom Adams

Tom,

Nice set-up! I love seeing pics of other people's systems, particularly when they are located in the types of challenging rooms so many of us seem to have these days (vaulted ceilings etc.... My mind has been mulling over the thought process you must have gone through in regards to your surround speakers (location? type? mounting?). Are you pleased with the results of your ceiling mounted RS-3's?

You didn't mention a sub-woofer, yet there seems to be something resembling a sub between the fireplace and the rocking chair? Maybe that's one of those new-fangled air filter/dehumidifier/ionizer thingies made by Velodyne?

THANKS FOR SHARING!

Dave

YEAH!!! Dave wins the prize for finding the hidden sub in the photo! smile.gif

Seriously though, I forgot to give due recognition to my KSW-15 sub. It's location is obviously not optimal, but is a good compromise for that room. During the construction phase, I pulled three different runs of RG6 coax to locations I felt a sub would work. I even FAX a sketch to Tom at SVS subs and picked his brain. Unfortunately, I already had the KSW-15 so I had to make it work. In hindsight, I should've sold the KSW-15 and bought a SVS cause the optimal location in that room would've been perfect for the SVS.

Now the surrounds were a different matter. The seating arrangement (and WAF) dictated no rear direct radiating or towers or speakers on stands. So, it was side surrounds and that's when I began lurking on this BBS. From comments here, I pretty much settled on the RS-3's. I'll mention another option in a moment. The location of the RS-3's were another concern. While I could mount them on the header just above the sliding glass door...on the opposite side of the room there was no vertical wall due to the entry way and how the vault met the supporting wall. If you go to my HT photo 001, you'll see what I mean. So, I entertained the notion of mounting them as shown.

The second option was to mount in-wall speakers in the vault of that ceiling near where the RS-3's are.

It was at this point that I FAX'd a sketch to Trey "loose" Cannon and we chatted about my options. Trey was of the opinion that the RS-3's would work much better than the in-walls. Second, the angle of the vault wouldn't be a serious issue to sound dispersement. And third, my proposed location would achieve a disireable result.

During construction, I layed-out the couch on the concrete using chalk. Then I measured 3 feet in front of the couch which established the fore/aft location of the speakers. Next came the decision as to how high up the vault to mount them. After many hours of trig equations and complex math I....well, to be honest, the location was a wild *** guess. smile.gif I placed myself on the sofa sweet spot, looked up at the rafters, picked a point, took a measurement and that's where they wound up. BTW, I only second guessed the location about, oh, maybe 273 times. frown.gif

As for mounting, I installed a 1x12 between two rafters and drilled a hole in the center for the speaker wire. Once the sheetrock was up I installed two screws into the 1x12 and used the keyhole brackets on the RS-3's.

Am I happy? Absolutely. Is it perfect? Probably not. But it's good for that room. Sound wise, they're there, but not there if that makes sense. I mean, if you look to hear them, then you notice the sound coming from them. But otherwise, they disappear and just fill the room. Hard to explain. Drop by, have a beer and give a listen. smile.gif

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

Tom Adams

Tom,

Thanks for the long winded reply...if we didn't care about the details...we wouldn't be here! Kinda curious why Trey felt the RS-3's would be a better solution to your situation than the in-wall speaks, but I would assume that it would have something to do with the WDST design being alittle more forgiving in regards to placement. Thanks again for sharing!

Dave