Anthem/B&K/Rotel

ZDoug

I am trying to decide which pre/pro to buy. This is for 100% HT/TV. I am leaning toward the B&K because it is new and has Ultra 2 post processing(turning 5.1 software into 7.1 sound) and balanced inputs. Both are important to me.The problem is I have read some comments about B&K's poor customer service and poor response to upgrading their products. I have read good things about B&K on this forum. (Maybe they were all from the same guy).The 50 is out and I have heard no comments. Does any one else have experience (good or bad) with B&K? I have sent them 2 e-mails and have received 0 responses. Hard to imagine when a 2 sentence answer would have caused me to buy the the 50.

My other possible choice is the Anthem AV20. I have heard good things about their service and upgradability. The problem is that unit is well over a year old. I know the DSP board must be replaced by the dealer for it to be Ultra 2 and PL2 capable.Does anyone know if they have or will release a new unit that already has all the new processing?

Finally,I like the Rotel, especially the price, but for HT it seems to be lacking important (to me)post processing capabilities. Any suggestions? 1.gif

The new version of the Anthem should be available by now.

You might have to look around for it as dealers get rid of their older stock.

My pre was only 40 units away from only requiring a software upgrade. Go to Sonic Frontiers web site. They list the serial numbers that require upgrading the hardware. You might be able to get one that has the new hardware installed then you only need to update the software.

I've talked to my local dealer about the upgrade and they made it sound like Sonic Frontiers wants to make the changes themselves for now, so my dealer is not offering to do the upgrade yet.

KAiN64: Thanks for your reply.I am talking about the Ultra 2 Cinema mode which according to what I have heard, and listened to with my own hears, effectively converts 5.1 Dvd's into convincing 7.1 sound. Of course you need 2 side and 2 rear speakers. If you are really into watching DVD's I think this is a extremely important feature.I don't believe Rotel has this new processing ability but I hope I am wrong.

zd, i use the b&k ref 30 & 7270 amp in my main system & i'm real pleased w/ the sound, features & support. now that the ref 50 is out their tech support tells me an upgrade for the 30 should be available in about the next 60 days.

i've had only about a year as a b&k owner, but i've called their tech support many times on their toll free number & they've always been a lot of help & supportive. from what i've heard they've had a real good track record on upgrades & seem pretty committed to them to me. seem like a good quality US co dedicated to only amps, receivers & preamps/processors along the lines of mac & mondial. 5 year warranty too.

as always best way to find out what you like for the price is to use & demo preferably at home.

I've had the B&K Ref. 30 for over a year now. A very nice unit at a great price when I purchased it. No problems with the unit and a multitude of useful features.

The manual sucks! Just a couple of days ago I finally figured out how to use one of the units features (after a year of trying). The manual does little but cover the basic features. Home Theater Magazine I think it was rated the Ref. 30 highly but blasted the manual (this was about a year ago). B&K told them in the article that they would upgrade the manual. Well that never happened (the old manual is still on their website). In the begining I sent 5 or 6 emails to Tech. Support trying to get clarification on some features but no response.

It's really a shame because B&K makes fine equipment. At the time I purchased mine the Ref. 30 really had a price advantage over the Anthem. If I were looking at two units with similar features and price I might not buy B&K today? I have however been very happy with the performance and reliability of the Ref. 30.

One feature that I think is an absolute must is the Notch Filter. Just about every room has some low frequency room induced peak that tends to make bass (most noticable on music) boomy. Being able to notch that peak out is a huge improvement.

Good Luck!

Doug C