Klipsch RP-440c crossover frequency?

ksb916826

Hi, I recently purchased a RP-440c to replace my previous Polk 15C center speaker (dual 5.25 woofers).  I plugged in the new 440c and ran Onkyo's room correction wizard.  To my surprise, it calculated the crossover to 200hz.  My previous polk was calculated to around 70hz.  Now I know these room correction tools are sometimes way off, but when the test tones are played from each speaker, the 440c just seems like it does not produce much low end.  I have RP-150 for my fronts and surrounds and those are calculated to 50hz.  I checked all the wiring and it seems fine.  The placement of my speaker is also the same as my previous Polk 15c.  I was expecting the RP-150 to go lower than the 440c, but not by this much.  Is this normal?  Is there any other tests I can do to figure out what is going on?  

@ksb916826,

Welcome to the forum.

11 hours ago, ksb916826 said:

I plugged in the new 440c and ran Onkyo's room correction wizard.  To my surprise, it calculated the crossover to 200hz.

A bit messed up in my opinion.

11 hours ago, ksb916826 said:

Now I know these room correction tools are sometimes way off, but when the test tones are played from each speaker, the 440c just seems like it does not produce much low end.

You may have a large bass "suck out" at the 440C's location causing the Onkyo's software to go awry.  

I would run the auto setup as normal again and if the 440C gets set at that high crossover again, just manually set it to maybe 1/4 octave or so above it's -3dB spec(-59Hz) which should be around 75 to 80Hz.   Experiment from there if desired raising in 5Hz increments.

Bill