Klipschorn update, 511b grill cover

Jim Cornell

Here is another picture, notice my custom trim between the 2 peices, the oak ply and the bass bins?

Regards Jim1.gif

PS the floor is crooked, if it looks kinda crooked!

OOPS the grill cloth on the firt pic needs to be trimmed,, LOL, also the cloth is from an old Chorus grill, so its Klipsch material as well!

post-3695-1381924574842_thumb.jpg

Hmmm.....that strikes me as odd. My Khorns have 511b's, and they fit comfortably within the confines of the top section. However, they replaced the stock wood/fiberglass horns which are about the same size as 511's without the top and bottom mounting flanges.

I've installed 511's into my Belles without too much sweat, and I thought that the Khorn has more 'headroom' in the upper cavity. Looking at the Belle now, you cannot tell them from stock.....except for the sound...:)

ED

I honestly wouldnt know, my Klipschorns had no top sections, just a front face, so thinking about it, i would have to say yes to the horns fitting in the top sections, maybe moving the tweeters!

How do you like the 511s in your Klipschorns?

I misunderstood

Regards Jim

Edware did you actually cut off the entire flange, that would drop it to size yes, thank you for the info, but to late now LOL!

Jim - Yes, I like the 511's very much. If you search you will see that I've been endorsing and suggesting this 'upgrade' for several years now. In fact, I believe that some of my very first posts to this BB were of this nature. To me, there is no comparison. My Khorns are 1954 vintage and as such, came supplied with the wood/fiberglass sectoral horn. It was these horns that I replaced with 511's as the wood/fiberglass horns have a tendancy to emit a 'clacking' noise of sorts, especially with age and seperation. It is my opinion that the 511 provides a greater dispersive sound. More grandeur, more clarity, better tonal characteristics.....more pleasing to the ear. It is for these reasons that I replaced the stock straight horns in my Belles in favor of the 511b.

I've recently replaced the stock mid-horns in my Cornwalls with University Cobreflex's. Refurbished with a fresh coating of Krylon Rust Tough Semi-Flat Black, they sit atop the CW and look pretty swank....to where the missus even accepts the look. This horn blends very well with the 511b's, and does not take up nearly as much 'depth', making them a viable option.

'Yes', I did remove the upper and lower mounting flanges. Used the trusty Makita angle grinder with 4" cutoff disk, took about 5 minutes per without a problem. I then mounted the front of the 511's with 'L' brackets, 1 per side, and supported the rear with a large 'L' bracket mounted to the 511's existing rear mounting hole. Piece of cake. Tweeters are mounted within the mouth of the 511, either horizontal or vertical works. Although, despite popular opinion here, I have to report that I prefer the sound of the tweeters mounted horizontally over the vertical mount. My ears hear 'more' with the tweets mounted in this traditional fashion.

Ed

Far out, im very shocked to hear about ALL your horn mods, right on!

Me myself, i can honestly say that the Klipschorns havent hurt my ears since the 511b mod!

Even the cornwalls hurt our ears, i just guess its the small room, the 511bs seemed to adjust the Klipschorns, for a smaller size room!

The sound to me is absolutely georgeous!

Im keeping my old top fronts, and 400s, also im thinking of boxing in the tops half way!

Just leaving the back triangle point open!

I was also thinking of cutting these down, 7inches, but i didnt want the chipped wood from the saw, on my 7 ply Oak lam!

Also, i was thinking of vertical mounting the tweeters on the outside left and right of the 511, BUT it seems up high from the 511, they are more clear, and seem more powerfull, rather than blending in with the mid, so more than likely ill leave the mod the way it is!

Ill post the stock Klipschorn, for you to see how i bought them, on the next reply!

I even own the same makita grinder, handy isnt it?

Where are you, id like to hear all your horn mods?

Regards Jim1.gif

Jim,

I have to agree, neither Belle or Khorn have hurt my ears since the 511's went in. Attached is a pic of how I squeezed the 511 and other components into the confines of the upper Belle cavity. The next post will show the Belle with the 'lid' on and the grille frame I made to 'open up' the front to let out the sound. With the Belle, I wanted it to look absolutely bone stock after the mod.

I likewise tend to agree with your findings regarding the placement of the tweeter. During the course of evaluating whether vertical or horizontal mounting was right for my room acoustics, it was clear that in either case, having the tweeter up a foot or so produced a slightly better listening experience. As you've said....better seperation.

I'm located in the 'Northern' California foothills town of Penn Valley. In the general vicinity of the Grass Valley/Nevada City area, about 40 miles to the NE of Sacramento. I would be delighted to audition the system for you or any other members who find themselves in the area.

BTW - My vote is for the semi-boxed in top as you've described, covered with the Klipsch-cloth color of your choice!

post-6566-1381924575088_thumb.jpg

Ed

Very nice, i did notice that your using the Altec drivers as well as the 511b horns!

The belle doesnt even look like you modified them!

On the Klipschorns, like i said, i used a taller front for better separation, the tweeter, they sound so much better than confining them right into, right above, or next to the mid horns!

If im ever in the area, ill have to E-mail you let you know!

Now i wonder if i should go with the Altec drivers? Well, i still need to replace my pre amp, then go from there, in the meantime ill enclose the tops some, to protect the crossovers!

Im still not hearing the full Klipschorns, without upgrading the pre amp!

I have such a smooth sound here with the Altec 511 K-55-V combo!

Also, i do like the 2 tone Klipschorn, even if the grain is vertical, i paid $50.00 for the 7 ply OAK ;laminated wood, wife says not to paint them black, she liked the altec horns raw also, now that i made grill covers, i think they look better!

Well, i own the biggest baddest Klipsch, in the line, i entered the storyteller contest stating i dont need the horns, i did it just to enter!

Now im doing cosmetics on these, and the coments on the 2 tone, made me wonder if they are that ugly! LOL

Ill prabably have headlights, tail lights, liscence plates on these by the time im done LOL!

I dont know if you can, but post the Klipschorn you have, id like to see the results!

Nice chatting Ed

Regards Jim

Well,

1.gif

Justin

How many people here own klipsch speakers that DONT match?

Thinking of this, it wouldnt matter if i painted these all black or not!

Besides, i can match these to OAk cornwalls, La Scalas or Heresys LOL hint, I had 4 cornwalls with 2 totally different looks for quite a while, i would guess thats why the 2 tone doesnt bother me!

The top sections also match my kitchen cabinets!

Regards Jim

1.gif