CROSSOVER IDENTIFICATION

DRBILL

This is my second try. I hope for luck!

I have obtained a K-ORTHO DRIVE balancing network (crossover) K-1000/6/5000. Can anyone tell me from which Klipschorn model this came? The date is 7 January 1957. It is mounted on a trapezoid-shaped plywood base. The input is identified as 16Ù. What impedance would the three outputs like to "see"? I have in mind a center channel for my Klipschorns. I have a c.1970 Klipsch tweeter and a ten-cell Altec horn with a 15Ù 802-B driver.

I haven't thought ahead to the woofer, but I would expect to build something. Any information and suggestions would be appreciated, especially about the crossover.

DR BILL+

Klipschorn, shorthorn, maybe early Heresy? Whichever, this crossover was used University SA-HF squawker driver, and 4401 tweeter. IIRC impeance was 16 ohms and 8 ohms respectively. Woofer would probably have been a 15" Stephens 103-LX-2 or EV 15WK, or 12" EV 12WK, all with 16 ohm nominal impedance. The EV units, and I believe the Stephens unit, were special versions of the standard product for use as horn drivers. The EV units have 3.2 ohm DCR resistance.

You might want to check out:

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/Klipsch.htm

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Electro-Voice/119-5.jpg

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/University/1957-6.jpg

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/University/1957-3.jpg

The designation K-1000/6/5000 is odd and I've never seen that except maybe on ebay recently. It did NOT come from a Klipschorn. The Klipschorn's crossover points have been 500 and 5000 or 400 and 6000 until this year when they became 400 and 4500. The 1957 K-horn crossover should have been a K-Ortho K-500/5000. I'll bet the one you have came from a Shorthorn or Rebel.

The impedance of all of the drivers were most likely 16 ohms for the crossover to carry a 16 ohm label.

----------------

On 12/5/2002 8:36:31 PM Malcolm wrote:

Klipschorn, shorthorn, maybe early Heresy? Whichever, this crossover was used University SA-HF squawker driver, and 4401 tweeter. IIRC impeance was 16 ohms and 8 ohms respectively. Woofer would probably have been a 15" Stephens 103-LX-2 or EV 15WK, or 12" EV 12WK, all with 16 ohm nominal impedance. The EV units, and I believe the Stephens unit, were special versions of the standard product for use as horn drivers. The EV units have 3.2 ohm DCR resistance.

You might want to check out:

----------------

Yup. Shorthorn or Rebel. One of the links you suggested showed the exact item, trapezoid shape, schematic, and all. Many thanks for you knowledge and interest in my problem.

I was Paul's priest at St. Mark's Episcopal, Hope, in the late '60's. I spent many happy hours loitering around his lab out at the Proving Grounds.

FATHER BILL+ 1.gif

----------------

On 12/5/2002 10:06:32 PM John Albright wrote:

The designation K-1000/6/5000 is odd and I've never seen that except maybe on ebay recently. It did NOT come from a Klipschorn. The Klipschorn's crossover points have been 500 and 5000 or 400 and 6000 until this year when they became 400 and 4500. The 1957 K-horn crossover should have been a K-Ortho K-500/5000. I'll bet the one you have came from a Shorthorn or Rebel.

The impedance of all of the drivers were most likely 16 ohms for the crossover to carry a 16 ohm label.

----------------

Many thanks for your knowledge and interest. Malcolm directed me to a link that showed the exact item, trapezoid shape, schematic, and all. It was from a Shorthorn or Rebel.

I was Paul's priest at St. Mark's Episcopal, Hope in the late '60-early '70's. He and Belle were special people to me.

Father Bill1.gif