Horn synergy

VDS

Hi,  I’m trying to get some info on matching horn to driver.  Even when using search it’s hard to get general info on how to match the 2 components.  Is there any basic considerations for pairing a 1” driver with horn?  I’ve heard of exit angle from driver.  Are there “unsuccessful” parings, or is it just a matter of the sound characteristics you like.  If you find a horn that seems to have good specs does it matter that much which driver you pair it with?  
The complexity of horns seems staggering,    how do people make good matches?

thanks, Ted

I realize there is no simple answer

that is a loaded topic. For the most part it is buy and try and that is how the makers want it because that is the best business model for them. You want to match driver exit diametre with horn throat diametre. It is also a good idea to match driver exit angle to horn throat entrance angle but this is not written in stone. So you get back to buy and try. These things can be modeled but not by me. Your best bet is to listen in person where possible and read comments from those who's ears are in line with your own. A Karlson K-Tubes is so simple to custom make and can be an ideal fit for each driver. You might experiment with them first as they are very inexpensive to make. See photo below tune for driver resonant peak and make the tube a 1/4 wave of this frequency after that experiment to your hearts desire with different profiles. I much prefer the double cutaway version over the single cutaway version. These are best suited for near field listening so are perfect for home use. In pro on large stage situations they can be less directional than desired.

Karlson k-tube double and single cutaway versions.jpg