KV-4 a better match with Fortes?

chuckears

OK, I know that the Academy is the best center channel match for the original Klipsch Fortes. I also know that I will not being shelling out the $500-plus that these things seem to be selling for these days.

So how does the KV4 stack up against the KLF-C7? Would there be enough of a difference to consider swapping? Or should I just wait for Klipsch to revive the Academy (no doubt charging at least $600 in today's market?

Chuck-

I used a KV-4 with my Forte IIs for about a year. While it is a good speaker, it is designed for the Epic line, and, therefore, isn't a timbre match with the Fortes. I replaced a KV-3 with the -4, and, looking back, I think I preferred the KV-3/Forte II combo over ther KV-4/Forte II. But once I replaced the -4 with the Academy, all was right in the world. It truely is the best "small" center channel match for the Quartet/Forte/Chorus line.

As Bill mentioned above, you could certainly split a pair of Fortes and place one in both center locations, front and rear. Another board member modified a Quartet for his center and has had good results. While I can't comment on the KLF-C7, the board member I bought the KV-4 from, Chickey, had a C7 with his Chorus IIs and enjoyed it a lot. However, once he heard my Academy with his Chorus IIs, he promptly started searching for one. Yes, eBay has been kinda high lately, but occasionally other board members offer up great deals. I have also seen folks just search the web for "Klipsch Academy" and been lucky. I'd stick with the C7 for now, and keep your eyes open for a moderately priced Academy. You will not be disappointed.

Chuck,

JHawk is on the money with his always wise counsel. I run a similar set-up to you - Chorus II's up front, an Academy center, and RS-7's in the back. There's no comparison between the KV-4, the KLF-C7 and the Academy. I'll sum them up in one or two words, since I've had each in my system (along with the KV-3)

KV-3: Too small

KV-4: Too bright

KLF-C7: TOO SHOUTY

Academy: Just right (seamless)

With the Academy, the front sound stage is transparent from Front Left to Center to Front Right. Because of the timbre match, you tend not to distinguish the center from the other front speakers, and the sound is therefore uniformly seamless.

BTW, the RS series in the rear makes for a nice match with the Heritage/Classic front end.

Hope this helps!

Colin

JHawk - LOL...not at all. I owe my Academy addiction and admiration in large part to you.

No new house yet....but not for the wife's lack of trying. She agreed to a big screen HDTV, but only once we get the house. AT least she has a high WAF for all my gear and big old speakers.... 2.gif

C

Oh oh, it's an Academy addiction? Well, I guess since you have two, maybe it is an addiction. I'll certainly take the admiration part.

Congrats on the HDTV. Guess you can work the house angle, and as long as that takes, the big screens will get better and cheaper.2.gif