Hooking up a reciever to 4.1 sat speakers.

demare27

Hey.

My amp in my 4.1s must have got wrecked again for the second time and unfortunately this time the speakers are 6 months out of warranty.  So I thought I could buy a reciever (lets say a low end Denon or Yamaha for example) and hook them up to the satellite speakers to provide relatively good sound until I have the money to buy a nice pair of speakers to go with the reciever.

Does anyone know if this would work at all? Or work well? I only need to use the satellites for about 4 monts so it doesn't need to be perfect.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

you could do it, but bear in mind..

the sattlites cross over at about 150hz, most receivers crossover much lower, say 100hz-80hz. This puts more bass into the sats allowing for more distortion. the sub seems to also be weaker when connected to a receiver, from what I have heard, but that may not be so.

the most important factor here is that you are going to be using a 8ohm amp with 4ohm speakers. so just a littl eturn of the volume and you speakers will be at their max, any further and they will blow.

if you want to do this, i suggest a low powered amp. onkyo, denon, yamaha, sony, pioneer.

• 2 weeks later...