WTB Chorus 1/Cornwall II Mid (k-57-k)

shomrighausen

I'm currently building my HT around the Choruses that I recently purchased.  I had a pair of these that I sold to a family member about 20 years ago.  I'm glad to get another pair.  I've had my share of Klipsch in the past, but there is a special place in my heart (and ears) for the Chorus.  I envision building a center channel based on the Chorus mid/tweeter and yet-to-be-defined woofers flanking them.  Think sort of MTM design with the 'T' being the mid/tweeter (if that makes sense to anyone.)  I have a fair amount of woodworking experience and am not afraid of the cabinet build.  Additionally, if anyone had a suggestion on the gill fabric of the 'I' series of Chorus/Forte/Quartets, information on that woudl also be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for the discussion. :)

I'm trying to build a horizontal to fit better below the screen/tv.  Not opposed to all chorus surround, but would rather have the ability to put a buffet-style unit below the screen.  This center would sit on top of that buffet-style unit.  I'm hoping to have exact matching tweeter/mid (and associated crossover components) and add a pair of ~95db 8 ohm woofers to emulate the ~98db 4ohm K48 that is in the Choruses (designing the woofer section of the crossover.)  Tuning of the box can be done to 'match' the Chorus.  I believe voicing is generally tied to the mid/tweeters and these will be identical.  

I do know that there is an art to crossover design and interaction of box materials/construction can come into play.  I have been designing/building speakers in hobby form for decades, so I'm comfortable with the required tweaking that will be needed to fine tune the center to match the Choruses.  I have the appropriate equipment to measure/test the design and compare against the Chorus.  I don't pretend to have a 'golden ear', but I've generally done alright with my other designs and the friends/family that have my other designs are happy with the results. 

Worst case scenario, it will be a fun project and I would likely build a buffet-style piece and build in the enclosure for Heresy components and use that as the center.  Generally, the forum seems to recommend using identical for LCR or suggest a Heresy for C duties.  I know that some recommend Academy or other variants from throughout the Klipsch home theater offerings.  Generally, I try to match all drivers in a HT configuration - Atmos throws a bit of a wrench into that with regards to old-school Klipsch (Heritage or 'extended' Heritage).

• shomrighausen changed the title to WTB Chorus 1/Cornwall II Mid (k-57-k)