timber matching

marksdad

My biggest concern here is your center - it will not be timbre matched to the Cornwall. The Academy, Heresy, or a third Cornwall (best bet sonically) would be the choices at center. The center needs to match the Corns - as sounds pan across the front soundstage, the center will "stick out" from the mains if they don't match timbre. The idea is to obtain a seamless transition from speaker to speaker in the front array, so it sounds as if it is one big wide speaker across the front.

Timbre matching is very important (especially across the front). You can get away with different series as rear (although I would not do it that way, but it would be OK). Some do like the wide dispersion Reference rears in HT. You will need a different center for the desired results though.

With my Corns as mains, I run an Academy at center, with 2 Chorus as rears. Given that I don't have room for 5 Cornwalls (all identical speakers would be the ultimate timbre match), this is sonically the best I can do. The Chorus and Cornwall share the same tweeter/squawker, so the match is quite good all the way around. I do wish to add a Belle Klipsch as center someday, which would be an option at center for you too, if you have the space for it.

For a good read on timbre matching, read HornEd's post in Home Theater. It should be a part of a home theater FAQ. Very informative.

just as i had imagined, i opened another door in the money pit, well i will give them a good listen, and if i cant tolerate the transition from speaker to speaker i will begin my search for an academy, fortunatly i knew this beforehand, and did spy a few academy centers on e bay, so that wont be very hard to do, but what center to buy?12.gif