Hey Guys Take A Look At This

I was just wondering, when I buy this sub could I hook it up with zip cord or should I get a little better quality wire? I have a 12 x 24 room should I buy two? Will it work ok with my Bose cubes? Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you mean "Are any of these reviews serious?" I'd say no, with the possible exception of the lab doing earthquake studies in Japan. The others are nonsense.

If you mean "Is Krell serious? Is this a real product?" the answer is definately yes. It compares with the Whise product line (check out http://www.whise.com.au ), or the Wilson Watch Dog (visible at http://www.wilsonaudio.com/products/watchdog/index.html ) or the ServoDrive ContraBass (see http://www.servodrive.com/servo/cb.shtml ). Any of which will provide reasonably good bass in a typical room. biggrin.gif

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

well first off sound dogg are you serious about spending that much money on those subs?!?!?!?!

and second. i was wondering y they are so exspencive. 28 thousand bucks is alot for a sub. are they really that good??? for that much you could buy a couple pairs of Khorns. what were people thinking?

------------------

------------------------

LaScala (industrial) Main

Radio Shack ssm-1200 mixer

Carver 400 Amp

Pioneer pd-4700 cd player

I guess you have to ask "expensive" relative to what? Krell just came out with a new line of speakers, called the LAT series, which stands for Lossless Acoustic Transducers. rolleyes.gif The floorstanding version is $35,000, so $28K for the sub is not that far out of line. Compared to products like the Dynaudio Evidence ($85,000), the JMLab Grand Utopia ($65,000), the Kharma Exquisite Reference 1B Loudspeaker ($80,000):

exquisitestands.jpg

various Wilson speakers (check out the Flash presentation at http://www.wilsonaudio.com/SHOCKWAVE/maxx_shockwave.htm ), which cost up to $180,000, the Alon Exotica Grand Reference, a $125,000 system consisting of a main tower and a subwoofer tower:

exotica.jpg

the Martin Logan Statement, two piece tower system:

stower.jpgswoofer.jpg

at about, uh, $120,000? Not sure of that one...

anyhow, I guess you get the idea...

I was kidding ... I just can not imagine spending that kind of money on speakers. For that matter I cannot belive the amount of money people spend on speaker wire. How much better could these be than Khorns? And if I had that kind of money I certainly would get an acoustical engineer to design a room in my house specifically for these speakers. I think people often don't know the quality of things and figure if it costs a lot it must be a whole lot better. Often not so.

Oh, I dunno...

Is spending $125,000 on a Porsche 911 Cabriolet 4 crazy? You can get a really good car for <$20,000...

Is spending $2,500 on a suit crazy? You can get a really nice on at the Men's Warehouse for $250...

Is spending $215,650 on a watch crazy? (uh, YES...) -> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=577583914

point is, if I can afford it, and audio is my passion, who's to say that any arbitrary amount of money is "too much" to spend on something? What was A-Rod's contract?

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

I used to really love Porsches. Then one day a friend's brother-in-law showed up with his 911 Carrera. Yeah it was quick, but the VW Beetle like interior really turned me off.

As for Krell, I've heard that the initial reaction to their speaker venture was disappointing. Does anyone know more?

As for Martin Logan's, any pice for these is too much. I hate the sound of mylar sheet.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think this is a good subwoofer for the "typical room". It would need an a great deal of frequency manipulation to avoid creating standing waves. I don't see any mention of this on Krell's www site. I once auditioned a Velodyne ULD-18 which actually made me queasy when it excited a standing wave. I would definitely buy the Vandersteen 5 (which has built-in subs and bass equalization) first. That would levae me with about $15K to buy decent electronics. :-)

Jeff