Hey Craig, about that 222C I got.....

Tom Mobley

It just absolutely kicks ***.

It's been out in the garage since I've owned it, but my wife and 5-year old son are out of town for a couple weeks so I dragged it in, hooked it up to my virgin 77 Heresy's and my "better" CD player, a Nakamichi MB-1s. No Rega for sure but a pretty decent consumer grade deal. Anyway, I just cranked it up with some Santana, BB King, Eric Clapton, Coltrane, etc and WOW. This is the first amp I've ever had that could maintain it's sound while turned up all the way. This is the hardest those Heresy's have ever been hit, I could see the grilles bowing in and out. I actually turned it up all the way till the knob stopped. First time I've ever done that since I got the Heresy's in 77. It just gets louder, no tone quality degradation.

I ended up running it mostly at about 1-2 o'clock on the knob, it's terrific. Hard to imagine better than this, but I will install that box-o-parts you sent and see what happens. Over four hours of high volume use, it wasn't even hot. Neither were my ears. All three of those guitar guys can hit some pretty piercing notes, but they just didn't generate the fatigue I used to get with extended loud playing.

I got a couple new tips for my iron, I foresee a big solder day tomorrow.

Tom

OT: I put a set of plugs in my Chevelle the other day, it's running pretty good right now, especially since I finally installed the 3:73 Posi rear axle I've had laying around for a year or so along with a fresh 87 Buick Regal GN 200-4R tranny. It's a roller cam 406 with aftermarket heads and stuff, pretty heavily optimized torque monster type package. I was out driving earlier tonight and some kid with a new Mustang GT thought it would be fun to blow me off. hehehehe.... I think he'll be avoiding old Chevys for awhile. It was almost hilarious, I thought he would do better.

Boy your having some serious fun on more then one front there Tom !! Good for you !! I find that Scott amps have unbelieveable Iron this is why they can reach these insane SLP's without degragating the sound quality. They sound the same at 85db all the way up to 105db its amazing !!

I would venture to say its nearly impossible to hear them go from A to AB operation.

Craig

Craig,

A to AB operation? I can't hear that. My ears aren't that great. Found a BB King disc yesterday, "Makin' love is good for you". Track 2 (Since I Fell For You) on this thing is absolutely killer. Just made my all-time list in one shot. It's got all kinds of cool stuff in it.

OT again: Got a call from a buddy who went over to California few years ago and got rich. He wants me to build a new engine for his 66 Chevelle. He's got some Dart block that he thinks will "clean up pretty good at 4.600 or 4.630" and he's buying a Scat billet crank, stroke is 4.75". This is 640 cu. in. or so, ought to wake up the old Chevelle pretty good. I'm thinking about passing on it, these one-off monsters always suck up a mile of time, I just don't have that much time anymore. It does have excellent WOW factor though. That's well over 100 cu. in. bigger than than any other motor I've built. I've done quite a few of the 4.25 strokers, but this thing would be 4.75 stroke, that's nuts. I guess there's shelf stock pistons available for it, that really helps. I'm going to let this one perk for a few days, not committed yet. A few years ago I would've killed to be involved in a project like this, now it's got the chore feeling around it. Did I mention that he's got a 300 NO2 shot he wants to use? Getting into the 1200 HP region here, things get weird up there.

Tom

When you build them that far from stock stroke and what not detail is everything or the motor can tear itself apart. I've always stuck with near stock configured motors myself. With a street machine with limited traction available a monster torque motor with a 4 3/4 " stroke isn't going to impress the tires if you know what I mean :)

Craig

>>> ....detail is everything....

yep, that's me alright. Mr. keep-track-of-all-the-details. That's how I got good at engines to begin with.

Went out and got a digital display version of the RatShack SPL meter. I've got the 222C hooked up to my Heresy's, source is the Nak CD player I mentioned earlier. Here's how it turns out:

about 10:00 on the vol knob it's about 80dB at 1 meter

noon = 85-90

1:00 = 95-100

2:00 = 105 =/- a few

3:00 = 108

after then it starts breaking up a little, the amp is sitting on one of the speakers. sounds like it's getting into some kind of feedback deal. at 105-108 it's clean.

I took a voltage reading at the speaker terminals while it was running about 95dB, expected to see about 2.8V. My new Fluke "True RMS" meter doesn't like that deal, won't measure it as DC, wants to see it as AC, shows as about 5.5 volts. I've got an old analog meter around here somewhere, I'll try to find it and measure the V at the terminals. I bet it turns up between 2.5 and 3.5. I wonder, 5.5/2= 2.75, probably it.

I'm enjoying screwing around with this stuff, it helps give me a frame of reference. I never had any idea knew how loud 100dB sounded in a living room. That's what I need, baselines.

Tom