Installation question

mmiles

I am re-installing my system based on relocating the electronics in a built in wall shelving unit that will FINALLY be complete this Thursday. I want to run my speaker wire, video cables (both s-video and component) and sub cable in separate conduits under the floor (not under carpet actually under the floor). So here are my questions:

1.) Can S-video AND component video cable of "reasonably high quality" share a conduit?

2.) Can speaker wire (Monster 12 guage) share the same conduit, especially the front main l/r and center channels?

3.) Can I seal the conduits with a foam type substance? Will this damage the cables or cause any wierd conductance issues?

BTW, I want to do this right and only spend O N E afternoon under the house!

Regards,

Mike

----------------

On 12/16/2002 9:05:59 PM mmiles wrote:

3.) Can I seal the conduits with a foam type substance? Will this damage the cables or cause any wierd conductance issues?

----------------

Be careful with what you use for spray foam. Some of it, like regular Great Stuff, will disolve some plastics. They do make some foam spray that is plastic freindly, it just costs more. You should be albe to find it at the larger home improvement stores.

1.) Can S-video AND component video cable of "reasonably high quality" share a conduit?

YES..

2.) Can speaker wire (Monster 12 guage) share the same conduit, especially the front main l/r and center channels?

YES.. You can put in as many data or speaker connections as you can fit. Just remember to have Electric lines in there own conduit.

You only need to seal conduits if they are going through firestops, IE from one floor to another. Do not use a foam spray. The product I use is from Gardner Bender, called conduit putty or plug or something like that. Basically it is a putty like substance that can be pulled out and replaced easily.

Good luck on your project.

JM

Yes

Yep

As for the 3rd Question, I have no clue about that. Ihave heard about a putty you can use, but I don't know about spray stuff. Good luck!

Assuming you are doing this in the U.S.A., speaker wire in the wall, even in conduit, in all likelihood needs to have a CL2 or CL3 or rating to meet code. That lets out what most of us use for speaker cable. Monster does market an appropriately rated product, though. But, IMHO you will do as well using architectural cable from places like PartsExpress at about $.18/foot.