older subs

oregon_guy

oregon dude, no they are not ported, as such.

Unless you call rear passive radiators a vent.If I remember correctly(and remember,I know it all)the SW8II had the 8" front driver

with a 10" passive radiator(65 watts RMS),the

SW10II had the 10"& 12"(100 watts RMS),the SW12II had 12"&12"(150 watts RMS),and the SW15II 15"&15"(200 watts RMS).Get as many of them as you can get your hands on. biggrin.gif

Keith

thanks guys...

but, tell me, is the raving about the older Klipsch subs due to their high quality, or the poor quality of the current subs?

in other words, are we talking about the older SW models being great compared to any other sub in the price range, or just great compared to the KSW models?

I haven't heard any Klipsch subs, but I have listened to M&K's push/pull and the $1000 Velodynes. Anyone care to venture an opinion as to the comparasion between those kinds of subs and the SW models?

I saw the post re: the SW12 on audioreview. Here's another great sub on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=12 27220381&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=986862506&indexURL=0&rd=1

This one is a 250w 12" front fire w/passive radiator. I emailed the seller to ask what his reserve amount was and he said $550.

Dollar for dollar, which is the best sub(the SW12 or the Velo)?

Its Saturday morning in sunny Oregon and I'm about ready to take a peek inside my Heresy II's. Look for those adventures over in Updating Older Speakers.

thanks again...

YESSSSS! I just sniped a SW10 on ebay for $228...hope you guys weren't trying for that one too.

That sub sat on ebay all week with 2 bids on it ($150 and change). It went from $152.50 to $228 in about 3 seconds. Someone with the email address keithnjean@dellnet.com bid it up, but there was an ebay pro lurking...and he just underbid me by $2 and change...whew!

I'm basking, dudes!

(should I go for the SW12 on audioreview.com too? are any of you guys going for it)?

hey boa12,

I liked the M&K best...the model I was impressed with had 2 active 12" drivers 180 degrees out of phase (as I understood it at the time, which, when you think about it, doesn't make much sense because theoretically, you should get no sound out of such a configuration, right?).The sound however, was extremely tight and controlled.

The velodyne was also a 12" (non-ported box, downfire) and it was **smooth**, very musical.

So, now I need another SW10 to mate with my Heresy pair. Finders fees will be paid (no joke!).

I'm a programmer and could trade web programming (specialize in databases and streaming media website) for finding and/or equipment.

I'm also looking for some McIntosh solid state gear to put behind the Klipsch speakers I'm starting to collect.

(if its not appropriate to mention these sorts of things here, please let me know and I'll edit this <8-)

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

og, did u see that 12 for sale next to this post?

boa,

not sure which post you're talking about. I checked out the SW 12 on audioreview, that was mentioned in a different thread in this category (posted by Bob P).

There is a Klipsch 18" non-powered sub on ebay now at: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1226585594&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=986669861&indexURL=0&rd=1

but its going to end in 15 minutes....

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

oregon_guy, you paid TOO MUCH for the SW10.

And yes I did bid up to $175 on the sub,but then again I didn't run the bid up, you did.

And you paid TOO MUCH.

Keith

So, you're the infamous 'dellnet.com' bidder!

I'm afraid we can see from the bid history:

oregon_guy (1) $228.83 Apr-07-01 09:42:05 PDT

jsrdds (42) $226.33 Apr-07-01 09:42:08 PDT

mcarter34@aol.com (14) $200.00 Apr-06-01 09:33:22 PDT

tooling2 (17) $185.00 Apr-07-01 09:42:04 PDT

keithnjean@dellnet.com (1) $175.01 Apr-07-01 09:42:00 PDT

keithnjean@dellnet.com (1) $167.01 Apr-07-01 09:41:37 PDT

keithnjean@dellnet.com (1) $162.01 Apr-07-01 09:41:15 PDT

oregon_guy (1) $156.27 Apr-07-01 09:39:18 PDT

huddy957@cs.com (175) $150.00 Apr-03-01 10:17:31 PDT

that you are definitely responsible for some of the major escalation in bidding. Were you using a software bid submitting program? wink.gif

it also looks like there were a couple of ebay pros lurking.

with the shipping from that location, my total will be $273, which I don't feel is too much for this unit.

Its a great unit with quality Klipsch performance.

since we all shop ebay for our Klipsch fix; maybe it would be good to make a webpage someplace that would list our ebay userids. If we coordinated our bidding strategies, I'll bet we could overcome some of the perils of the 'ebay pros' who lurk and snipe. Actually, I used esnipe.com on this one. I set my limit at $231.27 for that item and it looks like jsrdds (42) set his for $226.33, lucky me.

Let me know what you think about coordination on ebay re:Klipsch BB members, ok guys?

oh, BTW: the seller of this 'overpriced' sub has failed to respond yet, so who know's where that's going?

Bob P mentioned a SW12 over on audioreview.com. I contacted the seller and he has bids. Anyone we know bidding on that one?

I'd actually like to get either a pair of SW10's or SW12's.

C'mon now... It's ebay! If you bid high enough, you win it. Sure as he.. isn't science here. I really don't think $228.00 is bad at all. Especially if it's in good condition.

Can't we all just get along?? (Hey, where'd I hear that before?)

Take care Oregon_guy and Keith...Ya know it all! biggrin.gif

Later

Mike

OK, I apologized to Keith and edited the flame in my previous post.

Please excuse my bad behavior...

Here's the deal; I expected to pay somewhere's in the vicinity of $175 for that sub, but I set my limit at $230 and change to give me a better shot at getting it. I've been outbid quite a few times on ebay.

'Nuff about that...

What about some of my other points?

What kinds of other subs compare to the SW II series?

What was the original MSRP on that series?

Anybody interested in starting a running list of going prices for Klipsch stuff?

Here's a link to a kit at PartsExpress: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showprod.cfm?&DID=7&CATID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=536

its the 10" kit (part# 300-739) for $350.

Opinions?

I can't really compare anything else to the SW series, (SW12II), cause it's the only sub I have ever owned. I have had this sub for about 6 years now and it has been MORE then enough in my livingroom. Never has failed me and it is driven hard, as is the rest of this system. We had to "modify" all our hanging pictures and shelves so they would stay put! Hey..we like it LOUD & CLEAR.

If I remember, the SW8II was $400.00, SW10II..$600.00, SW12II..$1000.00, and the SW15II..$1500.00 retail. I found my sub at a local stereo shop for $750.00 because the shop was closing down...

I think the SW series are outstanding! NO complaints here!

If I had the room, I'd get another one.......

Mike

Rodney,I mean Mikekid,your prices sound just about right.I bought an SW12II in 1994 for $800.It has been a good piece of equipment, as all Klipsch products generally are.I have since bought several others and love them as well.Guess you could say I kinda collect em.

Things have changed a lot since then.My comment took into account the fact that the SW10 will generally not give sufficient clean

output alone which necessitates buying another which then becom

so Keith... with the time you've got invested in Klipsch subs, you got to rank as the resident knowledge base:

what do you think is the 'fair price' range for Klipsch SW series subs?

Also: you've got both 10's and 12's, if you were going to set up a sub/speaker match in a stereo outfit (each 3-way has its own sub), which would you prefer, the 10's or the 12's?

Also: Ed Schilling over at The Horn Shoppe (www.thehornshoppe.com) is raving about the Titanic sub kit at PartsExpress.com (mentioned above).

Anyone get a chance to hear one of those? Anyone got an opinion about how a sub like that would do in a head to head with a Klipsch SW series?