Nuetrik Speakon Connectors

shoe11

Is anyone using this type of connection for their sub? Can someone better explain exactly how these work as compared to the standard pre-out connection, how much they cost, where if any place I can buy them online, and any general comments/suggestions you might have regarding them.

Oh yeah and I misspelled in the topic line, that should be Neutrik.

Thanks.

~shoe

Dave,

See I just purchased a new REL Strata III sub and from a reply I got on Audiogon and from the REL setup documentation, both mention this type of connector, but I'm not finding a whole lot of info for exactly how it works.

From Audiogon I got:

Not to mention how easy it is to set up the sub for music. You can use the Nutrick speakon cable straight from the speaker binding posts from the amp, so the sub gets the exact signal the main speakers receive.

Then the REL setup doc contains:

It is helpful to know that you will almost always connect the REL to the input on the rear panel labelled High Level. This connection is made using the supplied 34 foot (10 m) cable, the bare leads of which connect to the speaker output terminals on the rear of the power amplifier. The easy and foolproof connection at the REL is done with a Neutrik Speakon connector. The purpose of connecting to the speaker output terminals is one of the unique secrets of RELs success. By connecting to the high level input on the REL from the amplifier, you build forward the sonic signature of your main system, including the tonal balance and timing cues of the entire electronics chain. In this way, the REL is fed the exact signal that is fed to the main speakers.

I'm used to connecting the RSW's via low-level and I only have a two-channel amp, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to connect these bare wire leads to a speaker output on the amp when I only have two channels and both of these are need for my Left/Right fronts. Additionally the audiogon post suggests I will use the Neutrick at the amp as some kind of T connector perhaps, while the REL post states I will use it at the sub. That's why I'm still in need of more information on exactly how this works. Of course I can always hook it up with the low level setup and pre-out as normal, but if this is the recommended method, I'd like to be able to use it.

Thanks for the reply.

~shoe

Hi,

The Neutrik speakon connector is a twist lock connector seen on many professional PA speakers and amps.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=10217232&St=3624&St2=78400279&St3=72323469&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=2510&DID=7

The speakon is really a nice connector providing better contact than 1/4" or banana plugs.

Its also realy nice due to the fact that it essentialy locks into the jack, you just push the little silver lever to the side and they come back out.

Also nice is the ability two have four conductors on one connector, this allows the electric bass amp I have which is a bi-amp design to connect to my speaker cabinet with only one cable because the high freq amp is on pins 1 and 2 and the low freq amp is on pins 3 and 4.

I would propably go ahead and just connect using the low level rca jacks unless you feel good about wiring it in with your mains.

Do you have the sub yet??

I would think the manual would have more detailed information.

Peace, Josh

Josh....

Yes I would assume/hope that the manual will have more information, but I have not yet received the sub. I should have it by Saturday. I was just trying to get any additional cables/connectors needed bought/acquired before it gets here.

The Neutrik solution sounds like a more involved procedure. I just want the connection that will provide the absolute best my REL can provide. I'm still curious to know if anyone is running their sub off of the speaker outs on their amp as described in the REL setup info or is everybody just using the low level connection on the sub with the pre out on their receiver/preamp. Does the usage of the high level vs low level connection make a noticeable sonic difference? Starting to talk out of my comfort level on this topic so additional comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the additional information.

~shoe

Hi shoe - I'll be a butt-inski here...

The connection to high level outputs rather than the pre-amp sub outs introduces several areas that can be affected. Not the least of these is the area of bass management/crossover. If your pre-amp is doing bass management, it will send everything out the sub out (at least, anything that is below the crossover point in the pre-amp in the channels designated as small, as well as the .1 channel for LFE).

Connecting to the speaker level output means that you will have to say SUB-NO in your pre-amp and run the front speaker channels are large, so all the bass will be heard. Then, you have to decide if you want to run the full signal to both your mains and your sub, or if you want to hook your mains to your sub and use its crossover to filter them.

There is no problem hooking the high level leads from the sub to the front speaker posts on the pre-amp/amp at the same time you have the front speakers connected. The sub's impedance is so high the amp won't even know it's there.

I think experimentation is the key for you.

DD

Shoe11 said:

The Neutrik solution sounds like a more involved procedure. I just want the connection that will provide the absolute best my REL can provide. I'm still curious to know if anyone is running their sub off of the speaker outs on their amp as described in the REL setup info or is everybody just using the low level connection on the sub with the pre out on their receiver/preamp. Does the usage of the high level vs low level connection make a noticeable sonic difference? Starting to talk out of my comfort level on this topic so additional comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a REL Storm III subwoofer and I have it hooked up using the Neutrik Speakon connection going to the high level inputs as well as using the low-level RCA connection. The sub is switchable between the two and using one way may be better for one thing and the other for something else. For example I have found the high-level connection to be really good for music and the low-level connection good for movies.

As for the actual connection, first, the cable to do this should be supplied with the sub. At least it was in my case. The actual connection is not as difficult as some seems to make it out to be. The Nuetrik Speakon connection goes to the subwoofer and it is just a simple snap on connection. The other end of the cable consists of a red, black and yellow wire. Connect the red and black wires to the right main/front - red to +, black to -. Connect the yellow to the + on the left main/front and that is all. The sub is just simply picking up the signal that is being sent to the speakers and driving itself with its own amp, thus not putting any additional load on your speaker amp. After that, it is just a matter of playing around with crossover settings, phase settings, volume level, placement, etc like you do with any other sub - you'll find the REL to be extremely flexible with regards to these settings. The documentation that comes with REL ST III series subs is actually quite good. I find the sub itself to be quite good - very musical.

Good luck and lets us know how it turns out 1.gif.

Also to add - the crossover on the REL goes all the way down to 22hertz. I don't know about the Strata III, but the Storm III is rated down to 18 hertz. You can dial in the sub's crossover to come in just below where your speakers start to roll off. Experimentation is all you can really do here to find the optimum setting. I found after much experimentation that I actually prefered to leave my sub hooked up with the high-level input, thus keeping my main speakers set to large. It really sound good, even with movies, although I still have the option of switching over to the low-level input if I want to.

It all comes down to experimentation as to finding what you think sounds best to you.

Thanks guys for your posts.

DD~

I should have stated that I was thinking in terms of my Rotel gear when I posted this meesage and not my Denon. I'm using my Rotel seperates and given that fact I don't have any ability to adjust LFE or speaker size for my speakers. I bought (at least for now), the straight basic Rotel 2 channel stereo pre-amp which doesn't provide for any of those settings. Now of course for movies, I'll be switching to the Denon and for that your comments will apply. So at that point it will be trial and error for me, but I have a fairly good idea on the baseline.

Steven~

Now it sounds like all I really need to do is wait until the sub arrives and RTFM. 9.gif I know that the cable is provided with the sub and it sounds like the sub end is terminated with the Neutrik based on your comment. From the REL material, I was uncertain about that.

The Strata as well is rated to 18hz. I have a hard time believing a single 10" can go that low, but all of the reviews I had read prior to purchase appear to suggest that at least something in the 20's is available. As I stated previously, I don't have the large/small speaker setup options within my Rotel unit, and I'm using the Rotel exclusively for 2 channel stereo. That being said the RF-7's will simply be full range RF-7's. I want the REL as you stated to simply pick up where the 7's begin to rolloff. To give me a good baseline starting point, where do you have the REL crossover presently set in your system?

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I've got this info under control now.

~shoe

Shoe11 asked:

To give me a good baseline starting point, where do you have the REL crossover presently set in your system?

I have mine set at 46hz, which seems to work really good. I probably could get away with setting it a tad lower.

Anyway, it sounds like you'll be using this primarily for listening to music, and for that the REL is definitly an excellent choice in subs.

Again, when you get yours, let us know how it turns out.