HT-PC & 7.1

Cybernalt

I'm designing a new HT - and planning on using PC in lieu of a processor. The Video is easy - just get an All-in-Wonder card from ATI - but the Audio has been elusive - everyone expects you to tie into their "matched" speaker system with the built in AC-3 decoder (for example).

I think I found a soulution -

http://www.m-audio.com/products/consumer/index.php#

m-audio says it will be available in February - which is perfect timing for me - and they confirm it provides 8 independent (-106 dB noise level) line signals to 8 independent amps and speakers.

Just spreading the word, FWIW. Any comments, warning from experienced uses of similar systems appreaciated.

Hmmm... what would be the advantage of using the PC for processing vs a typical AV pre/pro connected to a standard M-Audio card in the PC?

I've read that many HTPC builders are not using the All-in-Wonder but just an ATI Radeon video card because the All-in-Wonder doesn't support dscaler.

I'm thinking of including an HDTV tuner card w/PVR

I'm interested but not comfortable with my knowledge of HTPC's yet to actually assemble one. They seem to take a lot of time to get the right scan rates to prevent overscan on a RPTV w/component input, get the picture to look better than a typical TV tuner and DVD player, get all the audio dropouts and other glitches addressed, not to mention integrating the PC and fixing all the potential conflicts to get all the cards working.

HTPC's seem to be the most compelling with front projection system.