Am I missing out?

Music_Smurf

I am currently using a HSU VTF-2 powered subwoofer. It is good to about 30Hz (Max Output Mode). I am wondering if it is worth spending another $850 to get the HSU VTF-3 sub which can extend down to 18Hz (Max Extension Mode). Are there many music or movie material that have frequencies below 30Hz? How much am I missing out by not being able to hear frequencies below 30Hz?

smurf~

I'd say that depends on whether you play more movies or music.

If your playing mostly movies at decent levels, I'd say yes.

If your playing mostly music, I'd say no.

Within my own setup I've been doing alot of testing with different material to get a better idea of what really goes down even below 40hz. Basically I enable my low pass filter on the sub, set it at 40hz and play. Movies can definitely use all the range you can give them, but with music I'm beginning to think a solid 30hz is low enough. The musical purists may demand a 20hz low end, but I just haven't found alot of music that really requires it. Even at the 40hz crossover, I was surprised how little music went below that.

Anyway far from factual scientific research, but you might try out what I've been doing and see what you find.

HTH

~shoe

True Prodj,most rap music is optimised for gangsta boomboxes. LOL And we all know a boombox has no real output below 100Hz,most drivers are mounted on a thin resonating plastic baffle and work free air!No pors,no PR's,plenty of cancelation! LOL

When I was 9 I dreamed to have a giant boombox,old school style with the dual 8" woofaz and the shiny 2" tweeta. LOL A double casette monster loaded with 12 D cells!AM/FM with signal flashing indicators! Yeah groovy

16.gif